Still having trouble setting up VPN: NAS not responding to forwarded ports

Discussion about various official QPKG software applications. Login required to view the contents.
FrankChutsky
Starting out

Still having trouble setting up VPN: NAS not responding to forwarded ports

Post by FrankChutsky »

So, I set up QVPN on my TS-451 (latest firmware) - PPTP and L2TP/IPsec. I set up port forwarding on my netgear router to my qnap's static local IP number for ports 1723 (TCP), 500 (TCP/UDP), 1701 (TCP/UDP) and 4500 (TCP/UDP). Note: this is in addition to another port forwarded for Plex (32400). When I check with the canyouseeme.org tool, I can see port 32400, but the other 4 ports (1723, 500, 1701 and 4500) immediately come back as "blocked" If I type in a random port number, it takes several seconds, then says time-out.

Given that my router correctly forwards 32400 and immediately "blocks" the 4 new ports (as opposed to timing out) I'm suspecting my qnap is blocking. Any ideas?

Thanks

Ed
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Still having trouble setting up VPN: NAS not responding to forwarded ports

Post by dolbyman »

ports are forwarded to the correct ports on the NAS ?

try establishing a VPN to the NAS on your private LAN, see if the ports are open and the server is working
FrankChutsky
Starting out

Post by FrankChutsky »

port 32400 (for Plex) is forwarded to same port on NAS - I can see my plex server from computer not on my LAN

As far as establishing VPN to NAS on my LAN, I will have to try that when I get home... Stay tuned!
FrankChutsky
Starting out

Post by FrankChutsky »

Actually, I was able to use teamviewer to get to my home LAN: Yes, I can establish VPN to NAS (both PPTP and L2TP/IPsec) from my LAN.

I then tried from work - I was able to establish a PPTP connection, but not L2TP/IPsec connection... Does this mean that the problem lies with my netgear router?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

problem could be your works firewall, it might be blocking VPN connections

as you can see, the NAS is accepting connections fine, the router forwards them fine, so something on your end (work firewall) is probably the issue
FrankChutsky
Starting out

Post by FrankChutsky »

thanks much!!

Return to “Official Apps”