Alternative apps, services and security

Discussion about various official QPKG software applications. Login required to view the contents.
djtron
Starting out

Alternative apps, services and security

Post by djtron »

Sorry for too many questions below. I have a Qnap nas (2016's ts-251a dual core 1.6-2.5ghz celeron n3160 with 8gb) who is powered on only for early evening only. Do you guys use the following Qnap's services? Are they overhead resources and unnecessary?
1. Media streaming add-on - required by qnap's Music Station so I can stream on my external speaker plugged into video out at the back of my nas.
2. Multimedia console - handles these indexing and thumbnail generation for video, music and photo stations.
3. Qsirch for file search services. I have a good folder structure for my media and files.
4. DLNA media server - can I use this for my TV with LAN and also google home speaker?

What are the alternative for below Qnap apps?
5. Video station - I'm using Kodi as video station can't play my videos properly 720p mostly.
6. Music station - FLAC, mp3
7. Photo station - jpegs, I have to organize around 100,000 pics more (60% of total).
8. Hybrid backup sync - daily sync from and to my Gdrive and monthly backup to my external dockand portable hard drive.
9. Download station - linux iso torrents

I've also enabled the following services, which one can I disable?
10. QuFirewall
11. QTS SSL certificate
12. Qsync central
13. Security counselor
14. Antivirus
15. Malware remover

Some security questions:
16. Is it safe to access my nas via lan in http only?
17. How can I safely access my nas outside my lan?
18. Do I need to use wireguard, pi hole and vpn?
19. How can I get a free vpn and how do I setup it.

Thank you.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Alternative apps, services and security

Post by dolbyman »

1. Dont use your NAS as a player
2. Switch to Plex..none of that needed
3. Never used it ..uneccersary resource hog
4 Maybe..Never used it(only heard complains)..I use twonky and Plex.

5.see 1..use an external player
6. use any windows/mac audio player
7. use any windows/mac photo viewer
8. why do you need an alternative..and what does it need to do?
9. check into any other torrent package/container/vm

10. disable and remove
11. disable ir leave on ...useless in lan
12. disable if you dont use qsync
13. disable
14. disable
15. disable

16. is it private(only local uers only..or is it an open wlan network?)
17. vpn with server on router or dedicated appliance
18. you can see 17.
19. self hosting a vpn does not cost anything... read one of the millions of guides online
djtron
Starting out

Post by djtron »

Thank you for you reply.

1,3,5 I'm using Kodi via HDplayer, it's free and working properly.

6, 7. So you're saying better to organize in windows than qnap's photo and music station. On the other hand, I'm playing music thru my nas and I thought qumagic will help in organizing photos due. I like to have alternative nas app for music playing and photo that don't use multimedia console's indexing, thumbnail generation service.

8. I need an alternative to HBS because of the ransomware fiasco. I will use it for gdrive sync and monthly backup to my portable hard drives/dock.

9. I look qbittorrent app in the app center. What's the benefit of running download app inside a container/linux station. I've got a 2016 dual celeron and 8gb ram and container/linux station might need additional resources.

10. I thought Qufirewall will help although I enabled my router's firewall as well?

11. What the cons/pros of QTS SSL certificate? Do I need it for https?

14/15. So I will just run antivirus and malware remover when? Monthly on the fly?

16. Currently, lan in http only but planning to replace Gdrive with next/owncloud.

17,18. Possible to use Qvpn instead and not vpn with server on router/appliance?

19. Is self hosting vpn same as Qvpn or Openvpn? Is this necessary for accessing my nas/next/owncloud outside of my lan network? Is this resource hungry
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

1,3,5 .. if it works for you .. many people report tons of issues..it's a nas not a player

6,7 QNAP apps are full of bugs and cause frustration ...so some real apps instead of web gui stuff could/will be better here

8 if your NAS was not web exposed..HBS was and is not a problem

9 flexibility..you are not bound to whatever qpkgs are out there

10 help with what? .. no need for a firewall when NAT and SPI are provided by the router

11. Cons: it will not work without a FQDN, thats how SSL works...so no need

14/15 not at all..both are non real-time anyways ... antivirus does not protect your NAS ..and a non exposed NAS does not get malware

17/18 Do not forward ANY ports to your NAS ...

19. See 17/18 ..run your VPN outside of the NAS

Return to “Official Apps”