Cloud backup, Backblaze or ....?

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
asteynberg
New here

Cloud backup, Backblaze or ....?

Postby asteynberg » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:22 pm

Hi all

long time lurker, second time poster.

I need some advice on backing up our TS-459U+ (Firmware 4.26 20170905) to the cloud.
Up until now we've been using Crashplan but decided to move due to various reasons.

So I've joined and setup Backblaze B2 using the SYNC option on Hybrid Backup Sync(BACKUP option not available on my NAS) and while browsing this site discovered the SYNC option does not support file versioning, which for backup purposes is a necessity I feel. It seems the SYNC option deletes the cloud file and replaces with a new file, not creating a new version of the file which is what I want.

I would like the option of file versioning for my backups and seeing as I've only uploaded about 10% of the total data I can still switch, so options would be :
A) Continue with what I've setup so far in the hope that BACKUP / file versioning will be supported in future version of HBS ( I did send a feature request)
B) Look at a different, Backblaze B2 compatible app that I can use to backup. So far I've come up with Goodsync (not been able to get this up and running) and Cloudberry for QNAP (discontinued)
C) Stop with the B2 upload and switch to a provider and app which does a proper backup

I'm not sure how I overlooked the lack of versioning when I signed up for B2 but thats too late now.
If anyone can give some insights on the above I will very much appreciate it

Andre
QNAP TS-459U+
Firmware Version 4.2.6 Build 20170905

adetogni
New here

Re: Cloud backup, Backblaze or ....?

Postby adetogni » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:08 am

Hi Andre (Andrea here)

I am at your same level deciding which option for backup my NAS is best. So far I was considering Glacier, but haven't thought of the versioning issue.
However, my NAS *is*, for the most important data, already versioned (i.e. backups are versioned on the NAS) so I think that could be an option.
At least for reeeally important stuff (pictures and work files). It's not for, for example, movies but I can afford losing my movie collection rather than my personal pictures or work files.

What do you think of versioning your NAS (I use SyncBack to do so)?

adetogni
New here

Postby adetogni » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:21 am

...and by the way Glacier costs 0,004$ (cheapest option) while BackBlaze starts at 0,005$ per GB.
And retrieval costs are cheaper (0,0025 / 0,03 depends on speed on Glacier, while 0,02 on BB), but you have to account the price per "1000" requests on Glacier which is not on BB

asteynberg
New here

Postby asteynberg » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:56 am

Hi Andrea

I've actually not had a look at versioning on the QNAP itself, I have a suspicion that my NAS is too old to support it?(but I might be wrong), but I'm going to have a look at the Syncback products again. Used to use their stuff a few years ago and they make really excellent products.

I did have a look at Glacier in the past, but with my above situation in mind Ill have to start going through other options as well.
QNAP TS-459U+

adetogni
New here

Postby adetogni » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:39 am

Hi Andre, I've been using the free version of SB for years, and an year ago I moved to paid one since I wanted versioning and other cool stuff the paid offer. I couldn't be happier, it's very good and very robust.
Not sure what you mean "your nas does not support versioning" as it's a feature of Syncback, not the NAS itself..I use versioning with a veracrypt-encrypted OLD disk connected to my laptop.

cheers

StratusWing
New here

Postby StratusWing » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:19 pm

Shame that Crashplan pulled its program. Given the alternatives, I would have paid the higher fees for a Crashplan backup program, even at enterprise level. I have roughly 5-6 TB to backup, and 2 months of just storage would cost as much as a 1 year plan for crashplan. Isnt there a backblaze home program possible, or is it only B2?

asteynberg
New here

Postby asteynberg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:34 pm

adetogni wrote:Hi Andre, I've been using the free version of SB for years, and an year ago I moved to paid one since I wanted versioning and other cool stuff the paid offer. I couldn't be happier, it's very good and very robust.
Not sure what you mean "your nas does not support versioning" as it's a feature of Syncback, not the NAS itself..I use versioning with a veracrypt-encrypted OLD disk connected to my laptop.

cheers

Ah ok so that is how you use it, I thought Syncback had a QNAP app :DD
I read somewhere that there is a feature on the newer QNAP NAS where it can make backup versions of file itself, but now I can't find the link!
QNAP TS-459U+

asteynberg
New here

Postby asteynberg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:35 pm

StratusWing wrote:Shame that Crashplan pulled its program. Given the alternatives, I would have paid the higher fees for a Crashplan backup program, even at enterprise level. I have roughly 5-6 TB to backup, and 2 months of just storage would cost as much as a 1 year plan for crashplan. Isnt there a backblaze home program possible, or is it only B2?

Yea we've been using Crashplan for a while and it is a great service.
Don't mind the extra cost with Backblaze the intergration is just proving to be a bit tricky
QNAP TS-459U+

adetogni
New here

Postby adetogni » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:14 pm

Well, technically Crashplan did not pull their program, they switched to B2B business. Their Crashplan pro program is still a valid option as it's 10$ per month. Someone needs to check if it works with current Crashplan QNAP app, still.

In fact if you have >2.5TB Crashplan pro is a better option than Glacier.
Glacier is 0,004$ GB/Month, which corresponds to 2.5TB of space. But Crashplan provides unlimited versioning and does not ask you money for fast retrieval.

My only concerns are:
- I've seen SEVERAL complaints on Crashplan recovery performances. Not just on speed but people not actually been able to restore their files. Shivers.
- Crashplan running on a PC is a memory hog (https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/ ... ge_backups) and I fear killing the NAS. And I don't really need an "always on - real time" backup, it's enough to have everything backed up weekly during night.

asteynberg
New here

Postby asteynberg » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:54 pm

The RAM / memory problem is a bit of a problem on our NAS as well.

Well I have had feedback and yea they do not support Backblaze B2 multi-version backup at the moment. (I kinda figured that.)
I am in discussion with one of the QNAP people so hopefully he can give me feedback if they will support this feature in the near future, will keep posted here.
QNAP TS-459U+

asteynberg
New here

Postby asteynberg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:30 pm

Ok so received some good news from QNAP support.
They do plan to include the backup and multi-versioning support in Hybrid Backup Sync for Backblaze B2 towards the end of the year, which is fine.
So for now I'll be sticking to B2 and waiting for the HBS update
QNAP TS-459U+

Return to “Backup & Restore”