Backing up to an external HDD

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
splogic
New here

Backing up to an external HDD

Post by splogic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:49 pm

Hi Qnap Forum!

I'm using the qnap built in backup option to backup to an external drive.
However, every so often the drive reach full capacity.

Is there an option from within qnap to remove old backups and cycle through the storage.
(I don't want to remove the existing backup every time, just the oldest backup when there is need of space)

Thanks in advance!

storageman
Experience counts

Re: Backing up to an external HDD

Post by storageman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:58 pm

Give us a clue, what Qnap backup/sync method are you using?
If External backup no previous backups/versions will be on there.

Have you looked to see what is on the disk?

macnap
Know my way around

Post by macnap » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:55 am

Indeed, the backup apps provided by QNAP for external drive does not provide incremental backup. It's just one copy. However, when creating a Job, there are options in the settings for 'Delete extra files' as well as 'Overwrite the files if source file is...' etc. Configure them properly and make sure you correctly select the direction of copy. When properly set, the copy on the external drive will be a mirror of what's on the NAS, otherwise there could be old copies of files being kept on the external drive. If this isn't the issue, then a full drive would just mean your external drive isn't large enough to accommodate the available data stored on the NAS.
QNAP TS410 -> (8 years) -> TS431X (Plastic casing?) :-0

splogic
New here

Post by splogic » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:02 pm

storageman wrote:Give us a clue, what Qnap backup/sync method are you using?
If External backup no previous backups/versions will be on there.

Have you looked to see what is on the disk?

I use the built-in 'External Drive' option from the 'Backup Station' utility provided in the WebUI.
The drive was empty initially, it used solely for the purpose of taking interval backups from the NAS.

macnap wrote:Indeed, the backup apps provided by QNAP for external drive does not provide incremental backup. It's just one copy. However, when creating a Job, there are options in the settings for 'Delete extra files' as well as 'Overwrite the files if source file is...' etc. Configure them properly and make sure you correctly select the direction of copy. When properly set, the copy on the external drive will be a mirror of what's on the NAS, otherwise there could be old copies of files being kept on the external drive. If this isn't the issue, then a full drive would just mean your external drive isn't large enough to accommodate the available data stored on the NAS.

We don't want an incremental backup, but a complete one every day.
However, my requirement is that whenever the drive reach full capacity from the previous upgrades, qnap will clear one of those to free space and use that space to take the next backup.
The options that you stated, as far as I understand from their description, remove the previous update every time, I want qnap to do so just when there is no more space and for the oldest backup.

Thank you both for your help! I hope that my description is more conclusive now.

storageman
Experience counts

Post by storageman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Use HBS and RTRR NOT External Drive backup, this allows for previous versions. You can set say 3 versions max depending on available space,
You point the RTRR backup destination at the external drive folder. This folder you should be able to see in File Station too.

dpbrick
Starting out

Post by dpbrick » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:50 am

storageman wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:10 pm
Use HBS and RTRR NOT External Drive backup, this allows for previous versions. You can set say 3 versions max depending on available space,
You point the RTRR backup destination at the external drive folder. This folder you should be able to see in File Station too.
Have you tested how this works when trying to restore and entire system disk array?

Return to “Backup & Restore”