Use bacula to back up QNAP TS-1685

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
rbeach
New here

Use bacula to back up QNAP TS-1685

Postby rbeach » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:59 am

Hello all,

We use bacula for our backups. We recently purchased a QNAP-1685 and I would like to back some data on the QNAP using our existing bacula. How can I make the QNAP a bacula client so that I can back it up with our existing system?

Thanks,

OneCD
Ask me anything

Re: Use bacula to back up QNAP TS-1685

Postby OneCD » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:02 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

viewtopic.php?f=320&t=139041

Debian 'Stretch' on my production NAS (TS-569 Pro), with the backup NAS (TS-559 Pro+) to eventually follow. When that happens, I'll no longer use or support any QNAP firmware. Debian powerup/poweroff times are < 1 minute.

one.cd.only@gmail.com

Image Image Image Image Image

rbeach
New here

Postby rbeach » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:02 am

Thanks for this reply. I have actually installed that but I am getting a connection error. Passwords seem to be the same, wondering if stopping and starting the app in QNAP is sufficient after the config changes. Is there a way to restart the bacula-fd service from command line using ssh. I already have ssh access to the QNAP system.

OneCD
Ask me anything

Postby OneCD » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:15 am

Hopefully I haven't given you the wrong advice. I linked to a server package, when you may actually require a client package. Does that server package support operation as a client?

To restart a QPKG, you can find the init script for it in [/etc/init.d] then call it like this:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/possible-bacula-init.sh restart
This is the same as 'stopping' the package it via the QTS App Center, then 'starting' it.

Debian 'Stretch' on my production NAS (TS-569 Pro), with the backup NAS (TS-559 Pro+) to eventually follow. When that happens, I'll no longer use or support any QNAP firmware. Debian powerup/poweroff times are < 1 minute.

one.cd.only@gmail.com

rbeach
New here

Postby rbeach » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:37 pm

Thanks for the info, I am not sure if the package supports operation as a client but it does have the bacula-fd config that is normally used to set up the client, so that is what I used like I would on any other Linux machine running a bacula client. Whether or not that is correct, I don't know. I am going to dive back into this today and see what I can come up with. Do you know of any packages that are just the client for QNAP?

Thanks,

rbeach
New here

Postby rbeach » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:41 am

Thanks for the help, I did figure this out. It was silly really. In my config for some reason I had -mon instead of -dir for my directors. Only took me two days of looking at that config probably 20 times to finally see it...

rbeach
New here

Postby rbeach » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:51 am

Now a new problem, it seems the -fd on the QNAP 9.0.6 is not compatible with the server version that I have installed since the director is an older version. Planning a rebuild of the backup server anyway...so this will be addressed. Thanks again.

OneCD
Ask me anything

Postby OneCD » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:55 am

Sounds like you're having loads of fun there. :DD

one.cd.only@gmail.com

Return to “Backup & Restore”