Best way to backup QNAP NAS to QNAP NAS

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
lucky13
Starting out

Best way to backup QNAP NAS to QNAP NAS

Post by lucky13 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:16 pm

Hi Chaps

I've recently upgraded and migrated all my data from a TS-110 to a TS-228, I've also upgraded the old TS-110 with lots of extra space and so it's fully capable as being a single drive backup for all the data on the TS-228.

I'm looking to use the TS-110 to carry out a full backup of the TS-228 every month, it won't be left switched on and the plan would be to keep it at work in a fire proof safe and once every month bring it home and carry out an exact replica copy of the data...wiping out anything on the TS-110 that has been deleted on the TS-228.... for instance if I was using Robocopy I would use the /Purge or /MIR switch.

Ideally I would be able to run the job manually with the click of a button on my phone or via the web page once programmed.

There are around 6 folders holding around 2TB of data so nothing major.

I can see there are a few QNAP apps that can do backups and I'm not really asking for anything major here just a pure clone of the data from one NAS to the other so hopefully a nice easy answer on whats the most reliable and easy app to use for something like this ...reliability being key of course so an error log ( if any ) at the end of the copy job would be most helpful.

many thanks

Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything

Re: Best way to backup QNAP NAS to QNAP NAS

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:59 pm

for QNAP to QNAP, you can either do it offsite using VPN for a SECURE remote access, and then using HBS (the native qnap backup app).

Or... you can do QNAP to QNAP on the same LAN. I connect them on the same LAN using a switch.

in hybridbackupsync there is backup or sync.

RTRR is for best performance. RSYNC is if your backing up to a NON qnap device.

On your TS-228 you probably should use a raid1 :)

Does RAID 1 protect against corruption?
https://superuser.com/questions/112683/ ... corruption
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 + 16gb ddr4 Crucial + QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter.
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-659 Pro II 1x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-228 w. 1x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS)
[^] QNAP TS-128
Mobile NAS TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100dl/50ul MBPS FTTH Internet | Windows 10, WC PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Guides & articles
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review

https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

lucky13
Starting out

Post by lucky13 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:45 am

Thanks Moogle

So I will be bringing the extra Qnap NAS home and plugging it into the same switch as the other qnap NAS but only once a month, so I don’t think RTRR would be suitable as the extra NAS will only be plugged in once a month rather then running backups in real-time as soon as something changes.

hybridbackupsync looks more suitable but will it allow me to run it on demand only ?

Even hybridbackupsync seems a bit overkill, I really only need a backup tool that just copies the data once a month on demand and via a nice easy interface, does hybridbackupsync sound suitable at this basic level or should I try rsync which looks a bit more simplistic ?

lucky13
Starting out

Post by lucky13 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:18 pm

So I’ve been reading up on all 3 methods, but I’m still undecided..can anyone advise on my thread above ?

Return to “Backup & Restore”