Wanted: HBS 3 Manual

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
tgsbn
Starting out

Wanted: HBS 3 Manual

Post by tgsbn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:50 pm

Is there a manual available for Hybrid Backup Sync Version 3?
I have been trying to figure out the meaning of the various options from the GUI but many of my guesses have turned out to be wrong, not to talk of traps like options disappearing when a certain USB drive is not plugged in.
It would be great to have all this documented somewhere to read up.

alokeprasad
Easy as a breeze

Re: Wanted: HBS 3 Manual

Post by alokeprasad » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:16 pm

There are some videos on Youtube. That's all I could find.
NAS: TS-453Be
RAM:Crucial 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) DDR3L-1600 SODIMM CT2KIT51264BF160B
QTS: 4.4.1 build 20191109
HDD's: RAID 6: Four 8TB WD Red (WD80EFAX)
USB HDD: One 8 TB WD Mybook (WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN)
Switch: Netgear GS108

OnOffPT
First post

Post by OnOffPT » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:28 pm

I'm on the same boat I cannot make much sense of it.
In "create storage space" there are 4 options for the server type:
1. TS NAS rsync server
2. ES NAS rsync server
3. NAS-based rsync server
3. Rsync-compatible server

What's the difference between these?
If you select "Use encryption port", it greys out the capability to change the port number. Furtunately this is just an HTML bug that I was about to work around editing the HTML source using Chrome and the new port number was accepted/worked.

I've some concerns in using this to backup my photo gallery.

Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:13 pm

here are some videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7KYkG_57TM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63WwgBXyLBU

other resources

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... a-qnap-nas

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/search/hybrid%20back

https://www.qnap.com/solution/hbs3/en/

HBS 3 is not particularly complicating. although it's understandable for new users who are not familiar with it. check the youtube videos that will walk you through it.

the HBS options there are "i" which you hover mouse over which explains what those settings are. and if still unsure, there is the documentation that further goes into detail.

or if you use the forum search there will be mention of what it does.

I've been using HBS as my backup app from main nas to backup nas. backing up via rtrr one way sync, and restoring has worked fine for me for many years.

My tip for using HBS is, once you watch the youtube and check the description of the settings, and configure a backup setting, to FIRST TEST on a SAMPLE DATA (doesn't have to be much files, just a few will do) how it does that backup job you created. If it backups and restores as you imagined it should, ONLY THEN is it okay to use for production. This is how i first learned how to use HBS :) trial and error.

While at it, i also suggest you read this in regards to what constitutes as an acceptable backup.
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... _a_backup/
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 + 16gb ddr4 Crucial + QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter.
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-659 Pro II 1x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-228 w. 1x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS)
[^] QNAP TS-128
Mobile NAS TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100dl/50ul MBPS FTTH Internet | Windows 10, WC PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Guides & articles
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review

https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

tgsbn
Starting out

Post by tgsbn » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:49 am

@Moogle Stiltzkin: I know how backup works and what does or doesn't constitute a proper backup. I have twenty-five years of experience with various backup solutions, starting with good old Unix dump and tar (when the 't' still meant 'tape'), continuing through Amanda, BackupExec and NTBackup, and presently Bacula/Bareos and Veeam. Alas, none of these is available for QNAP, so I am forced to use HBS.

No, HBS3 is not very complicated. In fact, it is rather simplistic as backup solutions come. It is easy enough to click through in order to create a backup job that will sort of work. Still it has a lot of options whose meaning is not at all clear, for example:
* What can I write in the "Included/Excluded File Types - Other" field? A regex? Which syntax? A list of extensions? Separated by what?
* Is or isn't QuDedup supported on my ARM-based TS-228A? Marketing blurb says no, but HBS offers it anyway.
* Deselecting QuDedup pops up a warning "This will affect other existing job policies and options, and settings." but does not tell which ones.
* What does the "Remove additional files in destination folder" option do in a backup job? (It seems clear enough for a sync job.) How does it interact with versioned backups?
* What exactly does "Exclude duplicate files" do? There are quite diverse theories on that in the fora.

I already mentioned nasty surprises like the schedule being surreptitiously reset from "Auto-Backup" to "No schedule" if you happen to open a job configuration when its destination disk isn't connected.

I had read the tutorial you linked before posting. It isn't even for the current version of HBS.

I had also tried the search you proposed. It did not, and as of today still doesn't, yield an answer to my question.

Your third qnap.com link only leads to the marketing material for HBS3 which, needless to say, doesn't answer my question either.

And I hate videos. You can't search them, you can't browse them, you can't read them at your own pace, and they invariably gloss over important details while going into needless lenghts on trivial points.

In short, I'm looking for documentation, not tutorials.

Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:47 pm

tgsbn wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:49 am
@Moogle Stiltzkin: I know how backup works and what does or doesn't constitute a proper backup. I have twenty-five years of experience with various backup solutions, starting with good old Unix dump and tar (when the 't' still meant 'tape'), continuing through Amanda, BackupExec and NTBackup, and presently Bacula/Bareos and Veeam. Alas, none of these is available for QNAP, so I am forced to use HBS.
not familiar with any of those. you seem more expert on this than me :shock:

afaik HBS can just backup my stuff without fuss. no i do not do much of the filtering tweaks, other the basic defaults more or less. seems to do the job.

i do have the verify toggled enabled, but it does impact performance... not really sure if it's really needed.... but safer than sorry :)

tgsbn wrote:
No, HBS3 is not very complicated. In fact, it is rather simplistic as backup solutions come. It is easy enough to click through in order to create a backup job that will sort of work. Still it has a lot of options whose meaning is not at all clear, for example:
* What can I write in the "Included/Excluded File Types - Other" field? A regex? Which syntax? A list of extensions? Separated by what?
* Is or isn't QuDedup supported on my ARM-based TS-228A? Marketing blurb says no, but HBS offers it anyway.
* Deselecting QuDedup pops up a warning "This will affect other existing job policies and options, and settings." but does not tell which ones.
* What does the "Remove additional files in destination folder" option do in a backup job? (It seems clear enough for a sync job.) How does it interact with versioned backups?
* What exactly does "Exclude duplicate files" do? There are quite diverse theories on that in the fora.
the faq documentation i linked with all the Q & A's are basically where those questions get answered. if it's not there then they probably didn't add it yet.

tgsbn wrote:
I already mentioned nasty surprises like the schedule being surreptitiously reset from "Auto-Backup" to "No schedule" if you happen to open a job configuration when its destination disk isn't connected.
i don't know about that. for most of us users, we usually find out from the forum based on other user feedback or from trial and error. If the FAQ does not even mention this.

tgsbn wrote:
I had read the tutorial you linked before posting. It isn't even for the current version of HBS.
unfortunately this is rather common. some of the tuts and documentations are outdated (not all). i would on occasion report this to helpdesk requesting them for an updated article.

tgsbn wrote:
I had also tried the search you proposed. It did not, and as of today still doesn't, yield an answer to my question.
:( in those cases, just have to ask on forum like what you just did.

tgsbn wrote:
And I hate videos. You can't search them, you can't browse them, you can't read them at your own pace, and they invariably gloss over important details while going into needless lenghts on trivial points.
i've suggested in the past that they add timed headers for what is being covered in the videos for post video production edits. then people can just time skip to the part they are interested in.
tgsbn wrote:
In short, I'm looking for documentation, not tutorials.
it's the faq links i linked :( maybe there are others? no idea.

you're welcome :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 + 16gb ddr4 Crucial + QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter.
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-659 Pro II 1x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-228 w. 1x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS)
[^] QNAP TS-128
Mobile NAS TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100dl/50ul MBPS FTTH Internet | Windows 10, WC PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Guides & articles
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review

https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Backup & Restore”