remote backup with email report?

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
r3dplanet
First post

remote backup with email report?

Post by r3dplanet »

Hey gang,

I take care of a pair of identical TVS-671 NAS units. One lives in SF, the other in Seattle. Documents and content are created in the small SF office and then I have a remote NAS-to-NAS backup set with the Seattle NAS as the target. It works fine but I don't see anywhere to send an email report. The owner of the business rightly wants to get a report each day to verify the backup. If this method of NAS-to-NAS doesn't email a report, is there another way performing a remote backup that does? I'm open to options and ideas.

Thanks for reading.
P3R
Guru

Re: remote backup with email report?

Post by P3R »

It depend on what kind of "report" you expect and your respective roles.

NAS-to-NAS suggest that you use the old Backup Station, that I assume still exist in QTS only for compatibility reasons. Hybrid Backup Sync (HBS) have since long replaced Backup Station as the currently supported backup/sync solution from Qnap. I don't remember what was available in Backup Station but HBS together with Notification Center can be used to forward notifications on both successful and unsuccessful job completions via E-mail as well as sent through some other communication channels.

What is sent through Notification Center are only the short messages that appear in the System Logs. As far as I know it's not possible to automatically E-mail the complete logs or even a summary in HBS.

To check what have gone wrong with a backup/sync job is a task for the NAS administrator and the administrator have administrative rights so can login and check the logs and other things directly in the admin gui of the unit upon receiving a notification of an issue. Also it's dangerous to only depend on E-mailed notifications/reports. Proper backup administration includes regularly checking that data from the backup can be successfully restored.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
monoeilouais
Starting out

Post by monoeilouais »

Hello Everybody,

I'm brand new with QNAP.
I come from Synology and I'm facing some difficulties.

I want to backup data from QNAP to remote Synology.
I started to use rsync but there is no incremental option with One way sync option in HBS 3.
The incremental option is only available in Backup.

The simplest solution I found is to use webdav connection for a backup.
However, the report at the end of the backup process gives me some information which requires obviously details (for a backup).
For example, after the 1st backup, there some filtered files (+600) and ignored files (+4).

I'm not able to know which files are concerned. And for a backup solution, according to me this is mandatory.

What are the options to get details ?
The logs are not cleared at all for identification.

Thanks for the help !
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

monoeilouais wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:09 pm I'm brand new with QNAP.
Hello and welcome to our community forum!
I started to use rsync but there is no incremental option with One way sync option in HBS 3.
I guess here that you mean only transferring new or changed files to the backup destination. That's the way HBS always behaves by default with all jobs regardless of transport protocol used.
The incremental option is only available in Backup.
I'm guessing here that you're talking about the Exclude duplicate files option that's possible to enable in backup jobs but not in sync jobs. If that's the case it doesn't do what you probably think it does and opposite from what most administrators expect, it will be slower than when not enabling it.

HBS backup jobs by default compare the file name, date/time and size between the source and the destination to determine if the file have been changed and need to be transferred to the destination. What the Exclude duplicate files option does is to add a complete byte-by-byte file contents check. Due to the nature of the transport protocols supported for backups this is very bandwidth intensive as all data need to be transferred to do the comparison. With larger amounts of data it's only usable on gigabit speeds or higher. The new (HBS3 only) QuDedup feature will probably make things better but that I'm not sure of as I'm not using it.

The thing with using Rsync for sync jobs is that it's technically fundamentally different from all the other transport protocols. It always does such a byte-by-byte file contents comparison (Rsync really compare blocks of data but to the user it's presented as files) despite that the option isn't available with syncs and it does it in a clever way with checksums so it doesn't need that much bandwidth.
The simplest solution I found is to use webdav connection for a backup.
Yes that's a workaround to do backups to non-Qnap destinations. I guess you're using the QuDedup feature then?

What amounts of data do you have and what backup running times are you seeing?
What are the options to get details ?
Search the logs.
The logs are not cleared at all for identification.
The logs are what they are and it is the only way to find out anything that I'm aware of. I'm convinced the information you want should be in the detailed logfile but it is a log and not a report so you need to search for the information.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
monoeilouais
Starting out

Post by monoeilouais »

Hi P3R,
Thanks for your help !
I guess here that you mean only transferring new or changed files to the backup destination. That's the way HBS always behaves by default with all jobs regardless of transport protocol used.
This is not what I found in the documentation (https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... p-station/ and with the experience I faced of.

Therefore I'm not talking about Exclude duplicate files option. I really mean Incremental Backup which only copies new files / folders or update modified files / folders after the 1st backup.

So I used Webdav but without QuDedup. I really don't want to use solutions which are mandatory to retrieve data.

Therefore having details about files which have been ignored or filtered is really mandatory. But I cannot afford me to see every day logs in details...

How do you do to review backups easily ?

Return to “Backup & Restore”