Qsync fills my whole local disk before synching to its configured destination

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
sirivanhoe
New here

Qsync fills my whole local disk before synching to its configured destination

Post by sirivanhoe » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:51 pm

Hi,

I've been using Qsync for years now. With some minor problems from time to time, it has anyway worked fine keeping my 1.5TB personal media contents updated between my QNAP TS-453A and an external USB disk I carry along with me, used in tandem with my Mac.

Yesterday the thing broke. I took the chance to update to the latest Qsync for Mac (I usually keep it updated, it was the previous version before), i.e. v3.3.6.0304. Now I notice that while trying to re-sync my whole NAS' Media_Personal shared folder, it actually tries to download the WHOLE content to my Mac's local disk, as a kind of local cache/staging storage, and then I suppose it will start to synchronise with the external USB disk connected to the Mac (I suppose). The problem is that I have only 100GB free space on my Mac though my external USB disk is 2TB, mostly devoted only to this sync, so the first attempt was a disaster: before I noticed it, it filled my Mac's disk completely with notorious bad consequences (I had to hardly reboot and lost a few running configs/editing as even the shell stopped working).

Now I am on my second attempt, using Selective Folders to see what it happens with a limited subset, and it's behaving the same way. It's downloading everything onto a subfolder in my /private/var/folders/76/... on the Mac's disk, which has currently grown to over 60GB (the limited subset of folders aforementioned). Hoping it will at least clear it after this first successful synchronization. But even if it does, I won't never have enough free space to sync the whole content (some subfolders contains my Sony 4K camera videos which take over 800GB space).

Hence, how can you possibly sync over 1TB of data if Qsync needs the same amount of FREE space on the local PC where you're synching, even if you configured Qsync to sync onto an external disk ? Has it become unusable ? It used to work fine roughly with the same contents (slowly increasing as I shoot videos and pics) and sync setup for years.

sirivanhoe
New here

Re: Qsync fills my whole local disk before synching to its configured destination

Post by sirivanhoe » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:42 pm

Never mind, after I also saw the Qsync client got stuck repeating always the same items between 6100 and 6200 of over 9000 total, I downgraded Qsync client from v3.3.6.0304 to the previous one, v3.3.5.1209, and it seems it got back working fine. Next time I'll think twice before updating unless I see they've fixed something serious.

Return to “Backup & Restore”