jsteng
Getting the hang of things

Need help understanding HBS3

Post by jsteng » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:04 pm

Assume I have the following folders A, B, C, D and E
Assume I have a Daily Backup Job for folders A and B named "DAILY"
Assume I have a Weekly Backup Job for folders D and E named "WEEKLY"
Assume I have a Monthly Backup Job for folder "home" named "MyFiles"
Assume all backup jobs have a Simple Versioning of "7 Retained Versions".

Q1: After several months, I want to add folder C to DAILY job. Can I simply add that folder in the DAILY job and everything will resume just fine?

Q2: If I remove folder A from the DAILY job, what will happen to the "folder A" backups?
a) will it be removed immediately
b) or will it be removed one-version-per-day? and completely removed after 7 days?

Q3: If I deleted a Job called "MyFiles", but did not delete the Backup Destination Folder "USBDrive/MyFiles":
a) can I still recreate that Job and said new Job retain all the versioning from previous job?
b) or create a new Job "NewFiles" with Backup Destination Folder "USBDrive/NewFiles", then move all the contents of "USBDrive/MyFiles" to "USBDrive/NewFiles" (including the .syncmeta file) and expect that it retains the versioning from previous job?

Thanks!

P3R
Guru

Re: Need help understanding HBS3

Post by P3R » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:53 pm

jsteng wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:04 pm
Q1: After several months, I want to add folder C to DAILY job. Can I simply add that folder in the DAILY job and everything will resume just fine?
Yes.
Q2: If I remove folder A from the DAILY job, what will happen to the "folder A" backups?
a) will it be removed immediately
b) or will it be removed one-version-per-day? and completely removed after 7 days?
Alternative b.
Q3: If I deleted a Job called "MyFiles", but did not delete the Backup Destination Folder "USBDrive/MyFiles":
a) can I still recreate that Job and said new Job retain all the versioning from previous job?
Not in any way I know of.
b) or create a new Job "NewFiles" with Backup Destination Folder "USBDrive/NewFiles", then move all the contents of "USBDrive/MyFiles" to "USBDrive/NewFiles" (including the .syncmeta file) and expect that it retains the versioning from previous job?
I very much doubt that it's an intended feature so if it works, it would probably be pure luck.

In addition I would recommend that you check out Smart versioning in combination with daily backups as that will give you a much more flexible and useful version history than Simple versioning.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

jsteng

Post by jsteng » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:39 pm

What exactly does "Remove additional files in destination folder" option do?

I initially have WEEKLY job to backup folders: MyFiles, Multimedia, Public with 4 versions.
Folder MyFiles was initially stored an SSD drive forming DataVol2.
Just recently, I replaced that SSD with an HDD and expanded DataVol1.
Folder MyFiles was moved to DataVol1 as "Main" and now my WEEKLY Job backups: "Main, Multimedia, Public"

After running WEEKLY, I noticed the destination folders all contains "MyFiles" even on the "latest" folder.
I already tried checking "Remove additional files in destination folder" option but it is not removing "MyFiles".

When will "MyFiles" be removed in Destination?

jsteng
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:36 pm

jsteng wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:39 pm
What exactly does "Remove additional files in destination folder" option do?
It remove all files and folders in the destination that doesn't exist in the source.
I already tried checking "Remove additional files in destination folder" option but it is not removing "MyFiles".
It should when the job has completed but it will only be removed from the latest version initially. It won't be removed from the older backup versions until they're phased out in accordance with your retention policy.

Just to check I just made a test backup job and it worked as I say above.

If using File Station to check, make you refresh the view after running the job. To be sure you can end File Station and start it again.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

jsteng

Post by jsteng » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:49 pm

hi,

Strange... On my end, it would not.

Note: I did not delete the folder from the source folders. I instead "remove" the folder from the Backup Job.
These are two different things. Former deletes the folders/files, while the latter simply edits the job.

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:22 pm

jsteng wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:49 pm
Note: I did not delete the folder from the source folders. I instead "remove" the folder from the Backup Job.
Yes, I'm sorry. It does work the way you say.

I'd say that it look like it's a bug. Report it to Qnap.

A workaround is to manually delete the same folder in the latest folder on the backup destination.

jsteng

Post by jsteng » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:56 pm

Already reported
Either HBS was written to NOT REMOVE those folders, or it really is a bug and tech support does not understand the problem.

NOTE: Said "removed" folders persist on all backups versions not just the latest and yes, I manually deleted those unwanted backups from 4 versions.
** if there are more versions.

Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:43 pm

if you set daily to run at 1am, then the weekday one should be NOT 1am as well.

But even if you set them hours apart, perhaps your backup is still running. If it does try to run but your other job is already running, the next job will be queued.

does your external usb drive have enough space to be keeping so many versioning, daily, weekly, monthly? o-O;

I can't afford all of that, so i just backup once. and then use snapshots. Snapshots doesn't replace backups, but it's vastly cheaper than versioning.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) single disks.
[^] QNAP TS-659 Pro II
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-228
[^] QNAP TS-128
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100dl/50ul MBPS FTTH Internet | Win10, WC PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Guides & articles
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Backup & Restore”