HBS 3 backup doesn't sees external volumes

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
pbart
Know my way around

HBS 3 backup doesn't sees external volumes

Post by pbart » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:06 pm

I'm new to HBS 3: I would like to backup files originating on Apple Macs over local ethernet network (external volumes as seen from the NAS), but I'm unable to do it.
Seems like HBS 3 cannot see the external volumes as origin for the backup: what should I check to enable external volumes as origin for the backup ?
Paolo Bartoli
----------------
Mac OS X 10.14
QNAP TS251 + QNAP TS219PII
QTS 4.3.3

P3R
Guru

Re: HBS 3 backup doesn't sees external volumes

Post by P3R » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:26 pm

It's not clear to me what you mean by "External volumes". Do you mean that you want HBS to pull data from your Macs and store on the NAS?

If that is what you want, then you can do it if:
  1. The Macs share their data over CIFS/SMB or FTP.
  2. You create a sync job (not a backup job).
If you mean something else, please explain more precisely what it is you want to do.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

pbart
Know my way around

Post by pbart » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:30 am

P3R,
"Do you mean that you want HBS to pull data from your Macs and store on the NAS?" exactly.

I understand that HBS 3 is not able to perform backups (maybe historical would be interesting as well) pulling data from my Macs.
Just syncing is not the job I need.

I probably some other backup applications available on the QNAP Store can do that (and be compatible with the Mac environment)?
Paolo Bartoli
----------------
Mac OS X 10.14
QTS 4.3.3

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:31 am

I'm slightly confused as backups are normally for several reasons executed as push actions by the backup source node and not pulled by the backup destination.

I'm not very familiar with Macs but isn't Time Machine the native backup application in the Mac environment? You have a Time Machine server available as a service in HBS...

Why do you think that it's the Qnap that should pull in backups from the clients?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

pbart
Know my way around

Post by pbart » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:37 am

P3R wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:31 am
I'm slightly confused as backups are normally for several reasons executed as push actions by the backup source node and not pulled by the backup destination.

I'm not very familiar with Macs but isn't Time Machine the native backup application in the Mac environment? You have a Time Machine server available as a service in HBS...

Why do you think that it's the Qnap that should pull in backups from the clients?
In our office we have some Macs on local network, and ideally I'd like to setup the NAS as backup machine that pulls all the new data from the Macs to be backed up.
That's what I already do with Retrospect app on the Mac side, but I'm not satisfied and retrospect is not (anymore) available for the Qnap Nas.
Paolo Bartoli
----------------
Mac OS X 10.14
QTS 4.3.3

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:09 am

The only pull action you can do from HBS is described in my first post of this thread.

The reason I think it's normally better to push backups from the source (in this case the Macs) rather than pull it from the backup destination is that if a client is powered off or for some other reason is unavailable you will get notifications and error logging about failed backups because of something that isn't really a problem but only a normal occurrance. Those error messages will make it more likely that you may miss a "real" error message.

Backups from the clients should of course also be automatically scheduled if you want to avoid users forgetting to do their backups.

Return to “Backup & Restore”