HBS3 Alternative

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
frozen
Getting the hang of things

HBS3 Alternative

Post by frozen »

Can anyone recommend an alternative to HBS3?

It seems that they must have updated something and now it is nearly unusable. I am doing sync from one nas to another and now most of my jobs are failing due to timeouts. I have scheduled each job an hour apart and it us just backing up the differences in the folders for a 1 week period. Some of these jobs will only be backing up 2 or 3 files but the jobs are taking hours. I tried Goodsync on my pc and was able to do the ones that failed in minutes. Not sure of what is happening but I have been using HBS3 for years and had no problems. Now overnight I had 8 failed jobs out of 12 and 3 are still running. the odd thing is the jobs that are still running are all showing 5% complete. I would swear that it is copying all the files again instead of just the new ones.

Paul
kouda2020
First post

Re: HBS3 Alternative

Post by kouda2020 »

I am researching alternatives my self today.
HB3 suddenly has recently failed. It now takes 3 days to do what took 2 hrs. I have narrowed my prblem down to small files such as web links and thumbnails.
To the point.
HBS3 has started delaying copying files between each one. I have verified this by testing backup to an external drive and an internal M.2 SSD.
When I try to exclude files in policy, the job stops and throws out an error about not being able to read the folders.
I could write a thesis on all the things I tried.
So no I do not have an alternative, yes if somene can recommend one, and am myself researching an alternative.
Maybe even how to "downgrade" HBS3.
Its a shame as this has been working fine for me until recently.
do have an open ticket.
David Morrow

Post by David Morrow »

I'm going to suggest something that most people would likely not want to try. I normally use Free File Sync (FFS) on my Windows PC to do backups every night using the Windows Task Scheduler. It backs up between my QNAP and Synology; my QNAP to and from cloud accounts Onedrive and Google Drive. I'm going to resurrect an unused Windows PC, clean it up, and install FFS. It will run on a schedule set with Windows Task Scheduler. I'm going to set it up, attach it to my network, and stick it in a dark closet and just let it do all of the backing up as many times per day as I determine.
magobaol
New here

Post by magobaol »

Well,
I've just replaced my very very old NAS, that was stuck to QTS 4.1.something hoping that HBS would be more reliable with newer QTS versions, but I'm quite unsatisified. Like you, I have jobs stuck at 5%, jobs that fail and don't even re-try, jobs that declare they have failed and instead they are running (I can see the files being transferred).

I'm a very happy user of GoodSync, I use it to transfer files from my Mac to QNAP, and I'm planning to do something similar to what David Morrow suggested.

Good Sync has a NAS version that lets you see the NAS shares through their proprietary sync-protocol, so that you can setup your jobs easily on your Mac referring to locations that are not on your mac (NAS <-> NAS, NAS <-> cloud and so on), transfer your job definition on the NAS and then launch a command-line(*) version of GS that executes the sync between the locations you setup. With a little more effort you should be able to add cron tasks on the QNAP to launch GS jobs, or you can even think (probably) of setting up a virtual machine on the NAS itself and use the windows version to do all the work.
Good Sync has also the enormous advantage of giving you a clear vision of what is going to happen (copies, deletions and so on and so forth), whereas getting information from HBS is almost impossible (I hate that part of HBS).

I'm still monitoring how it goes with HBS, but I'll probably give a try to GS to do all the work.

(*) Good Sync command line is not really 100% supported on QNAP but it works. GS support told me they are working on something more complete and reliable for NAS. No timeframe yet, though.
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

FreeFileSync is fast and reliable but I transferred to QSync for creating a copy of my Windows PC files and documents. Veeam for imaging the whole pc including os. HBS3 backs up each NAS share to the cloud.
If you are having issues with HBS3 I would recommend opening a call.
glennmac
Know my way around

Post by glennmac »

Agree that HBS 3 is becoming useless lately. I have several QNAPs that I have installed that I can't even use it to do a direct copy. I did just realize a common factor which is they all are set up to use a read/write SSD cache so I am going to try disabling that to see if there is a difference.
eatosan
First post

Post by eatosan »

Ive been looking into using rclone.org see thread here, viewtopic.php?f=320&t=123914

Today, i tried some tests, trying to backup up to an attached USB drive. So HBS3 backup gets ~30MB/s (not great) and HBS3 sync took so long i stopped it. A really basic `rclone sync <src> <dst> -P` was way quicker getting over 100MB/s.

I like the idea of HBS versioning, but don't like the idea of opaque destination files. Is there even a file browser for these (qdiff) to look at individual files?

Just for information, i'm new to Qnap, coming from Synology. their backup ** too.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

eatosan wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:05 am I like the idea of HBS versioning, but don't like the idea of opaque destination files.
Then disable QuDedup and you will have a plain file system destination.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
ripmyundies

Post by ripmyundies »

I want to sync files to S3 as I did on my previous QNAP, I'm setting up my new TS453D and I can't see a way disable dedupe, the tick box is greyed out.
I know there are tools to allow me to read qdff etc, but I absolutely do no want any form of dedupe, or forced use of these technologies.

Any advice?

Edit: Doh, even though you can edit a scheduled job it doesn't let you change the versioning (which greys out the option to deselect dedupe). I had to delete the scheduled job and redo with versioning off
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

ripmyundies wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:33 am I want to sync files to S3 as I did on my previous QNAP...
Have you done versioned backups to S3 before version 3 of HBS? If you did, I would could consider it a bug if they have removed that functionality in HBS3.
...I'm setting up my new TS453D and I can't see a way disable dedupe, the tick box is greyed out.
I would expect that only destinations that support versioning space-efficiently are supported...? If you don't care care about space-efficiency you could set up multiple jobs on different times on any backup destination to have versioning.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
nickexists
New here

Post by nickexists »

I am also interested in finding a better way to do backups. I recently found that my QDFF backups couldn't even be opened by QDedup meaning that I actually have no usable backup. Besides that my backup jobs are constantly failing with "Failed to upload metadata". I'd like to back up to "Box" or a similar cloud service, but I'm really not sure how to approach this.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

HBS3 Alternative

Post by Toxic17 »

Try rclone qpkg

viewtopic.php?t=123914

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

nickexists wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:48 am I am also interested in finding a better way to do backups. I recently found that my QDFF backups couldn't even be opened by QDedup meaning that I actually have no usable backup.
Have you had a case about it open with Qnap support?

Try without QuDedup. That's how I've been running my versioned backups both to an external disk and to another Qnap. It's slow the very first backup since I have many small files but it's in my experience reliable and very easy to restore manually (I usually use File Station) as it's plain files in a plain file system and not some proprietary backup format.

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Toxic17 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:34 am Try rclone qpkg
I thought it only did syncs. Does it support versioned backups as well?

kingbacana
Know my way around

Post by kingbacana »

P3R

I just tried someting, I added rclone mount to my local nas.

Then I could see in file station and in linux command line I seen the remote nas server.
as example :
Local nas : see a remote folder contents of a different location/nas.

I go in HBS3 I know can select the remote folder as local nas storage.
I create a backup tasks select the remote folder and run the task.
Then after 5 sec Backup failed : source folder does not exists?

What could be the issue?
Is HBS3 accessing the local disk on file/block level and see the data is not there?
While the commandline and the apps see the remote as files?
I cannot fix this.

A detail overview
Nas1: nas2:
data data
data2 data2(remote mount rclone)

Nas2:
Cannot make the backup task of a folder in data2 as remote mount.

any tips or advise is welcome

Return to “Backup & Restore”