HBS3 restore backup from external TR-002 drive

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
stachuman
New here

HBS3 restore backup from external TR-002 drive

Post by stachuman »

I was surprised to realize, that most of issues related to restore are without any answer here. Really? I though - backup without known way to restore is useless...

Anyway - I made a backup of data with HBS3 to TR-002 drive (c'mon - it's qnap hardware - it should works without issues - well :( ) - qnap device I have - TS 351

1. Not always this is working - sometimes drive is not recognized as same device through USB (really qnap? both devices are yours)
2. After playing with USB ports, recreating backup from scratch - finally it SEEMS to work

I had a crash of SSD - decided to remove it from RAID, to do so - all volumes needs to be removed. No issue - I have backup (OK, I didn't believe - it will work, made an extra copy). Well, recreaded new volumes and

1. Tried without restoring configuration of TS 351 -
- I simply CANNOT select external device - connected through USB to TS 351 - as backup source. That's it.

2. Tried after restoring configuration of TS 351
- Still cannot select external device - but heya! I have now original Backup job I did use - we are at home! Are we?
- Selecting Backup job to restore - gives information that I cannot restore - because I did never make a backup. Seriously? Qnap - are you kidding?
- Tried to relink Backup - there is such menu now - and getting information that 'this media does not allow' - or similar message. Well - either you're kidding of me - or your wonderful HBS3 knows only how to do backup, but restore will be available in HBS4?

So - if this is not possible to restore from external device (yes - from qnap) - the last chance I saw was (is this HOW we are supposed to do restore???) -
- login to TS through SSH
- make a link to TS-002 into a directory under one of the internal directories
- WHOOOA - now I can do the restore BUT - of course not to original locations - that would be too good. This feature will be available in version 4 - I can do the restore to selected directory

Well - this is not horrible. After it's done - I just have to recreate original directories (links were created - but no directories - don't know why) - I'll just use mv under SSH

And now a big question -

- Somebody know a way to make a propre restore (newly created Volume) not waiting for HBS4? Or this feature is not yet available?

Return to “Backup & Restore”