Getting the hang of things

How to? - Backup / restore a complete NAS

Post by SFX Group »

Hi

I may not have all part numbers so will fill those in later.... we have:
- TS253Be
- 2 x Western Digital RED 2Tb
- QNAP QM2-2S-220A SSD Add on card with a Western Digital 250Gb SSD

We set the SSD as a global cache for the single RAID 1 mirror, was ok for about 2 years, the life left on the "FAIL" SSD says 98%, yesterday the virtual machine went off line, this morning black screen (Hybrid Station), did a reboot, says "disk full", volume is not full however a FAIL on the SSD Cache, i was always worried about this... so:

- Rebooted
- Removed the SSD cache from the Volume
- Rebooted
- Had most of the data back
- Rebooted
- Now it says its new (so i assume all the data is gone)
- Removed drive one, trying to recover data in a separate system
- Have removed both drives now so i can rebuild it as new but try and keep the disks

2 part question
- Can i get this working again?
- How would i back the whole NAS up with all settings automatically so "when" this happens again i can get a nAS and just restore the data and config to it?
Many Thanks
stachuman
New here

Re: How to? - Backup / restore a complete NAS

Post by stachuman »

Hi there,

It’s like a month already after your issue, so just to share our experience - maybe somebody will find it useful?

Had similar issue - TS351 - it had 3HDD + 2SDD - one of SDD failed
SDD was included into RAID together with HDD in a QTier configuration.

When removed SDD - lost access to all data, when put it back - after first restart - no data, after second - degraded mode, but access to data, so good to backup. Not sure why simple restart sometimes help. Important - do not remove SDD before backing up data (well, the broken one can be removed, but the other needs to be there). Of course depends of RAID configuration / Qtier confg.

Replaced SDD and… after 2 months again broke! This time had a backup, have removed volumes and initialized them again - but this time without SDD, there are not reliable enough, sorry.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: How to? - Backup / restore a complete NAS

Post by dolbyman »

I use two systems with Qtier (951x and 853BU) both with high endurance hotswappable SSD's and did not have any such issues

I expanded the 951X Qtier from 2 to 4 drives and exchanged all drives in the process also worked like it should

Return to “Backup & Restore”