Best backup option from Mac to QNAP

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
ovbg
Know my way around

Best backup option from Mac to QNAP

Post by ovbg »

Over many years I've had nothing but misery with Time Machine and my QNAPs (TS453 Pro & TS-219P). I only have the TS-219P these days (the other died), can anyone recommend an alternative backup solution to back both my Macs onto the QNAP (using a wifi connection via my router)

I would prefer a versioning backup, but any will do at this point

Thanks in advance
pokrakam
Know my way around

Re: Best backup option from Mac to QNAP

Post by pokrakam »

I've been using Arq for a long time https://www.arqbackup.com
It's one of the top Backup solutions for Mac, now also ported to Windows.
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

I use Time Machine for full system backups locally. The QNAP end of things is flakey (and their support engineers admit such) but TM itself has been solid for me (and has been used many times to full restore systems as well as many more times to retrieve older versions of individual files over the years). because QNAP is so unreliable I round robin other targets (direct attached) so I'm not solely dependent on QNAP for that aspect. I have other solutions that push TM backups to the cloud, Arq among them. I've been very happy with Arq, super solid for many years of use. I have NOT tried to use it for full system backups though, it's just been pushing specific content (including TM bundles) to the cloud.
pokrakam
Know my way around

Post by pokrakam »

Oddly I've never really had issues with TM. On my Mac I have simple strategy to use Time Machine to backup to NAS and Arq to backup to cloud.

On one occasion there was a hitch that a newly reinstalled Mac wouldn't recognise the backups, but I was able to retrieve what I needed via the command line. Not sure if that was a QNAP or Apple fault or operator error on my part.

Return to “Backup & Restore”