HBS 3 Incredibly Slow to External Drive

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
wk170
Starting out

HBS 3 Incredibly Slow to External Drive

Post by wk170 »

I am using HBS 3 (15.0.0128) on a TS-453A.

If I do a HBS3 local oneway-sync to an USB 3.0 attached external drive it is incredibly slow.
Just cancelled a HBS job that had been running for 11 hours, and had only transfered 34 GB.

Use a Sharkoon Quickport XT USD 3.0 V2 dockings station, and the drive inserted is a WD Red 3TB formatted as EXT4.
This docking station is USB 3.0 and has UASP Support & Native SATA Revison 3.0 Support.

Starting to suspect the QNAP USB 3.0 drivers, since the same docking station is very fast (150 MB/s) if connected to Windows 10.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Would also like to know, which external docking stations other QNAP owners use, and especially the ones that do provide high speeds.
TS-453A + TR-004
TS-659 Pro II
dolbyman
Guru

Re: HBS 3 Incredibly Slow to External Drive

Post by dolbyman »

current issue with hbs 3 (plenty of complaints about it)

open a ticket with qnap
wk170
Starting out

Post by wk170 »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:28 pm current issue with hbs 3 (plenty of complaints about it)

open a ticket with qnap
Thanks. Will open a ticket.

Just, using the same docking station and external drive, did a FileStation copy of the same source, and now am getting the high 150MB/s speeds.

Unbelievable that HBS is released with such a major flaw.
TS-453A + TR-004
TS-659 Pro II
ExNASATerry
New here

Post by ExNASATerry »

Agreed, unbelievable. I just got a 6TB USB drive to back up about 4.5TB of data. It took HOURS just to count the files, then four DAYS to do the backup. It also threw a bunch of errors my way because I had deleted/moved a bunch of files during the backup. It also complained that QDedupe was taking too long, so I deleted the backup set and job and created a new job. I tried running it; no difference. In fact, I tried to stop the job and THATS still hung up, over an hour later!

By comparison, I just got a new 8TB USB for my ReadyNAS RN-422 and it rsynced 7TB of data in under 12 hours.

I tried using rsync over SSH with no luck. Anyone else managed to use rsync and cron to do the backup?
espt
New here

Post by espt »

I am in agreement with poster ExNASATerry -- I too am seeing something drastically wrong with HBS 3 ver 15.0.0128 on QTS 4.5.2.1566. Backups or One-Way Syncs clip right along until they don't, at which point they copy just a file or two at a time and take more than a day to complete.
ExNASATerry
New here

Post by ExNASATerry »

This is mind-bogglingly unacceptable. I'm trying to back up 13GB and it's taking hours (four so far, and still going)! Backing up 5TB will take weeks. This NAS has tons of (for me) useless bells and whistles, but is woeful at its number one priority: safe storage of data (which by definition includes backups). I'm ready to write off the several hundred dollars it cost and replace it with another ReadyNAS.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

As long as no tickets are opened all the whining has no effect
TinoArts
Starting out

Post by TinoArts »

OK, I am hopelessly trying to bump this thread, because I haven't figured it out yet. I have opened a ticket, but only got generic replies from QNAP to check, whether my HDD is in the list of supported drives.

Has anyone figured this out yet? I am getting the average speed of 1 MB/s on a local NAS to NAS (to external USB3 connected SATA III HDD). Tha hard drive itself is capable to reach writing speeds of 180 MB/s. Just imagine how long would it take to backup couple of TB with such speeds.
TinoArts
Starting out

Post by TinoArts »

Bumping this thread again after 3 months, with NO solution whatsoever.

I've been communicating with QNAP on multiple tickets for weeks, only got generic replies. I actually managed to try one 500 GB USB 3.2 gen1 external hard drive (NTFS), which worked flawlessly! I got amazing speeds, and 2. run of a backup job completed in less than just couple of minutes. Amazing.

However, I've tried multiple 4 TB drives (Seagate, WD, both NTFS) connected via external USB 3.2 gen1 box and it is unusable. The speeds are at 1-2 MB on average, it is completely useless. I will be trying another external HDD box in couple of days, but this is just ridiculous. There is clearly something wrong - software related. I am checking changelog of both QTS and HBS daily, hoping for a fix.

And yes, this "whining has no effect", but apparently neither does opening a ticket.

EDIT: I don't want to jinx it, but it seems like I figured it out. I'm still worried, because it just seems so random. I did various tests of that hard drive on my Windows PC, everything seemed all right. I decided to reformat the hard drive on my Windows PC to NTFS. Then I connected it to my QNAP and reformatted it again to NTFS. Lastly I immediately reconnected it the the same QNAP NAS and reformatted it to Ext4, I've also changed it's label. I created new HBS job with default settings and viola, it works great. The speeds are decent (< 200 MB/s max), it backed up circa 300 GB of data in 50 minutes (first run), then I've changed couple of files and ran the job again, completed within 2 minutes - incremental backup is working as well.

I'm not sure what fixed it though, because I've tried formatting it to Ext4 before with no luck.
ctbarker32
New here

Post by ctbarker32 »

HBS3 is broken on current firmware with 451+ unit.

Trying to sync with external USB drive that has been working for years. Now getting "failed to copy attributes warning" out of the blue? What does that mean? Also, running back to back synce results in the same re-copy over and over again of the same files. Will this ever get fixed. It's useless now. BTW, I just had to do the "100 ohm fix" on another QNAP NAS. This combined with the Qlocker fiasco 100% caused by QNAP makes them abouit the worst company ever. How does one get through to them that they are screwing their customers?
qnap hbs3 log.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

check the debug logs for hbs3 (3dots) and/or open a ticket with qnap

- HBS3 bugs
- Intel caused chip degradation
- Users believing promises of safe private cloud features (and getting hacked)

Are very different issues ..certainly the intel thing is not in QNAPs hands
ctbarker32
New here

Post by ctbarker32 »

I have filed a ticket. I doubt QNAP will do anything. They will just blame the customer

I have sync tasks I have been using for years that are failing. I took the trouble to reformat one of my external usb drives I use for syncing. Got the same failed results as before. File sync just keeps copying the and recopying the same files each time.

There is a guy that made a youtube video for the "100 ohm fix" and he's pretty steamed at QANP because they continued to sell the affected devices while that knew of the Intel flaw. That's pretty lousy customer care. I had one of my redudant QNAP devices die the other night and after googling I finally found out about the Intel issue. I don't remember QNAP ever proactively sending a heads-up email to their customers? I have my device registered with them and they certainly know how to reach me. Did they even bother a press release? Again, QNAP's actions speak loudly that they have no care for their customers.

My understanding is that a QNAP caused flaw in HBS once again was the root cause of the Qlocker fiasco. Also, QNAP actively promotes their cloud services and does nothing to warn that it is a fundamentally bug-ridden honey trap. Blaming end users is not a winning formula. I escaped any long-lasting damage because I had a lot of redundancy and I was able to recover the ZIP password key. This was the first and only such attack I have had in nearly 35 years of working in the Computer IT space. I felt sorry for the many small businesses that got burned badly by QNAP without any restitution. If QNAP was a standup company, they would have offered to pay the ransoms for the affected users since they (QNAP) played not a small role in allowing this to happen.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Synology had the same chip generation issue

Here is a video from Dave from EEVblog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8_emfoR_MI
ctbarker32
New here

Post by ctbarker32 »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:10 am Synology had the same chip generation issue

Here is a video from Dave from EEVblog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8_emfoR_MI
Yes, widespread but according to this thread Synology actually applies the fix "100 ohm fix".
Devices with the newer SNs have the fix when bought new. Devices that you receive from Synology as a replacement have the fix implemented even if the SN is older. This only applies to pre -17 series devices with the Intel C2538 CPU. The 17 series and up have a workaround applied on the motherboard already.
Has QNAP responded in a similar fashion? Some comments I read somewhere indicated that if you called to complain to QNAP they just ignored the issue and offered no solution. And at least according the Youtube about the fix, QNAP actively sold new inventory while knowing of the Intel Bug. Like selling new cars with bad airbags.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

No idea how Syno handled this bug...apparently other manufacturers also showed less than their finest hour here (netgate is one I have seen rather negative responses about..Cisco was better)

We see with the x72x devices that qnap (albeit not public) can grant warranty extensions..(probably because more smb vs soho devices were hit here)

Nothing we can do about it here though..complain to whatever consumer group advocates you have in your neck of the woods/world.

Return to “Backup & Restore”