Practical NAS Backup Solution TVS-872XT

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Iwanttoconnect
Starting out

Practical NAS Backup Solution TVS-872XT

Post by Iwanttoconnect »

I have a TVS-872XT 80tb in a Raid 5 and want to backup 2 folders equalling 30tb.

I recently bought the TR-004 and put 56TB JBOD in it to handle this task. I did my first back up which took 2.5 days (the TR-004 is on a USB 3.2 v1).

I made the mistake of not turning versioning on for the first job. Do I have to start over to turn versioning on? (delete the existing backup then create a new job with versioning on?)

Otherwise (correct me if I'm wrong) each backup will have to delete the entire drive because there's only room for 1 full backup?

Two questions:
1. How would you backup with my current setup?
2. How should I have done this? :ashamed:
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Practical NAS Backup Solution TVS-872XT

Post by dolbyman »

with that much data, I would not feel safe with a spanning jbod target (if you need the backup..a drive will fail and your backup is toast)

an 8 bay arm NAS (or low end x86) with 10GbE would probably be better
Iwanttoconnect
Starting out

Post by Iwanttoconnect »

dolbyman wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:14 pm with that much data, I would not feel safe with a spanning jbod target (if you need the backup..a drive will fail and your backup is toast)

an 8 bay arm NAS (or low end x86) with 10GbE would probably be better
Thank you for the reply!

I hear that a lot about jbod. I guess my logic was, what are the chances my raid and backup both fail. I’d rather not chance it though.

Do you know if I can backup via thunderbolt to a box like this? https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/thunder ... nderbolt-3

or do you have any recommendations on similar products with 10gb
Last edited by OneCD on Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed SID
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I have never used TB enclosures..no Idea if they would work directly attached to a QNAP .. I am tempted to say no .. but can say for sure
Iwanttoconnect
Starting out

Post by Iwanttoconnect »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:39 am I have never used TB enclosures..no Idea if they would work directly attached to a QNAP .. I am tempted to say no .. but can say for sure
Confirmed the thunderbay enclosures from owl will not work. They require a host mac or pc to run properly
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

For backups, I prefer standalone solutions. i.e. a standalone device (a second NAS preferably with raid for example) protects you much better than an expansion TR004. If a main component (motherboard, power supply,etc) goes in the Tvs-872 you are left scrambling.

Even an offline backup that could span across external USB drives may provided greater resiliency, but not be my go to choice.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]

Return to “Backup & Restore”