Single drive 4- 4 Bay - new disk upgrade on main volume

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
presult
New here

Single drive 4- 4 Bay - new disk upgrade on main volume

Post by presult » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:33 am

Hi, I hope you can help.
I have a 419+ 4 bay.

Bay 1 main Volume 4TB is failing. I want to replace with a new HD (same size). The current drive has all the home, multimedia, public and Time Machine folders on.

I've backed up to two single drives on the same NAS using hybrid backup. (2 TB each) Bay 3&4

Bay 2 is empty.

How do I add in the new drive and restore from Hybrid to the new drive if i replace (swap out) the old one with the new one. The new drive does not see disk 3&4 folders if i insert it as a swap out and create it as a new single volume and hybrid backup/restore does not open.

Thank you

dolbyman
Guru

Re: Single drive 4- 4 Bay - new disk upgrade on main volume

Post by dolbyman » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:36 am

Never backup internally (you will lose access to these disks upon NAS failure) .. granted on those old NAS, a simple ext reading OS is enough .. more problematic on new systems.

Anyways .. you discovered the joys of not running RAID, so you will have to externally backup all your data , replace the disk and then start from scratch (restore the default folders and restore the data from the external backups)

presult
New here

Post by presult » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:06 am

Thank you.

If I put in the new drive into Bay 2 and migrate the Main Volume (drive) to a Raid 1 mirroring with the new drive (bay2). Could i then take out the old drive and replace that slot with the new drive (Bay 2 to Bay1) leaving Bay 1 with only a single disk but still in mirror mode and get a new second disk later to mirror again?

is that possible?

what are the recommendations for having an external backup (same NAS system again) or a just a simple cheaper backup drive nas system like terranova or just external harddrive bay?

Thanks

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:12 am

That would be possible...(unless the old drive is throwing SMART errors..then you are SOL ..too late at that point) best to convert the whole system from RAID1 to RAID5 later on..you never want to deal with single drives really

presult
New here

Post by presult » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:34 am

thank you - much appreciated :-)

Return to “Backup & Restore”