Sync/backup Windows folder and iPhone photos to NAS

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
LainB
Starting out

Sync/backup Windows folder and iPhone photos to NAS

Post by LainB »

Which is the best options to have a Windows Folder (the Users folder) and photos on and iPhone automatically back up (or one way sync) to a QNAP?

I just want to create a copy of my Windows User folder and iPhone pictures on the NAS. Right now I'm using Robocopy for the windows folder but would like something automatic. I'm thinking a scheduled once a day rather than real time is best.

I see that Qfile for iphone can do an automatic backup/upload of the photos to the NAS but I wasn't sure if Qsync would be better for that.

And can use Qfile on windows to select the Users folder to upload/sync on set schedules?

Or is there a better integrated QNAP app to use?

Thanks,
LainB
Starting out

Re: Sync/backup Windows folder and iPhone photos to NAS

Post by LainB »

I've been testing Qsync and Qfile on my iPhone and I can't quite get either one do to exactly what I want.

Qsync can't see the iPhone photos folder, reading up on it that seems to be a limitation of IOS. So that one doesn't work.

I have Qfile working and it's almost perfect but when I delete a junk photos or old photos on my iPhone that I don't need it doesn't delete it on the QNAP. There's no setting to "Remove deleted pictures".

Does anyone know of an app with is more along the lines of a "sync" than a backup/upload. So every time I put it on the charger at night it uploads new pictures to the QNAP and deletes pictures on the QNAP that I've removed from the iPhone?

Thanks,
rk1912
New here

Post by rk1912 »

LainB wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:34 pm I've been testing Qsync and Qfile on my iPhone and I can't quite get either one do to exactly what I want.

Qsync can't see the iPhone photos folder, reading up on it that seems to be a limitation of IOS. So that one doesn't work.

I have Qfile working and it's almost perfect but when I delete a junk photos or old photos on my iPhone that I don't need it doesn't delete it on the QNAP. There's no setting to "Remove deleted pictures".

Does anyone know of an app with is more along the lines of a "sync" than a backup/upload. So every time I put it on the charger at night it uploads new pictures to the QNAP and deletes pictures on the QNAP that I've removed from the iPhone?

Thanks,
I have EXACTLY the same problem. Did you find a solution? I am going to try Qphoto, someone suggested it somewhere...
Poppy
Getting the hang of things

Post by Poppy »

Are you actually deleting the photos from your iPhone or only clicking the Bin icon?
The iPhone does not in fact delete photos when you click delete - it just moves them to a hidden recycle bin and pretends it deleted them.
This may or may not be relevant to the issue
You might have better luck if you upload photos to the NAS as I believe that there is a setting to delete them from the phone when they are uploaded - and then use the NAS to manage the photos.

QSync works pretty well with Windows and Mac computers but iOS seems to have some unhelpful behaviours.
LainB
Starting out

Post by LainB »

rk1912 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:57 am
I have EXACTLY the same problem. Did you find a solution? I am going to try Qphoto, someone suggested it somewhere...
Not, I looked at some other apps but they don't seem to have the options either to remove photos from the NAS if removed from the iphone.
Best I can do is use Qfile for now and once the photos directory on the NAS grows big enough with all the deleted photos still there I just wipe the entire directory and do a fresh upload with what's on the phone. Maybe do that once a month or once every 3 months. Bit of a pain and kind of silly when it's something so simple but I can't find a better option right now.

Let me know if you end up coming across something.
LainB
Starting out

Post by LainB »

Poppy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:30 am Are you actually deleting the photos from your iPhone or only clicking the Bin icon?
The iPhone does not in fact delete photos when you click delete - it just moves them to a hidden recycle bin and pretends it deleted them.
This may or may not be relevant to the issue
You might have better luck if you upload photos to the NAS as I believe that there is a setting to delete them from the phone when they are uploaded - and then use the NAS to manage the photos.

QSync works pretty well with Windows and Mac computers but iOS seems to have some unhelpful behaviours.
Ya, I'm deleting the photos from the recycle bin also. Deleting photos from the NAS during a Qfile sync if they are no longer on the iPhone is not an option. I confirmed with QNAP tech support.
Also confirmed with them there is no way to access iphone photos with Qsync. So either software can do what I need unfortunately.

For my windows clients I'm using AOMEI. It doesn't exactly when I need for them. Works perfect.
Martiabernathey
First post

Post by Martiabernathey »

Thanks for the comments, it's helped me figure out what doesn't work. I'm using Photosync for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Backup & Restore”