QNAP failed, need to move disk

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
ithrbruce
New here

QNAP failed, need to move disk

Post by ithrbruce »

Hi,

My QNAP TS-453U-RP failed and will not reboot. I have another one, a TS-421U. I would like to place the disk from the failed QNAP into the live one to recover the data. Is it possible to do that and if so how?

The live QNAP's four bays are full, with two sets of RAID 1 disks. I would like to remove the disk from bay 4 and place the drive from the failed QNAP in there. Before I do that, can I break the mirror, and would that leave the data on the disks in bays 3 and 4 intact?

And then, if I place the disk from the failed QNAP into bay 4, will it pick it up and see the data or do I have do anything else to bring it online?

Thank you.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: QNAP failed, need to move disk

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

just keep a proper backup. raid is not a backup
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... _a_backup/

so if it failed reboot, then just replace the bad drive, rebuild raid (if it can't rebuild, then start from new), or if there other issues why it can't boot, figure that out whether it requires a fix or a nas replacement, then recover from backup to the new nas or existing nas once you solved the issue.

don't count on raid to save you from things like this :/ the idea of a backup is that it's already available, no mcgyver solutions required. you just recover once it has a place to recover to. or if your backup is the secondary nas, you can just simply use that, until your other nas issues get resolved at some point (this is what i do when my main nas is down for some reason that requires a overhaul or something but i still need to access my stuff, which is convenient mirrored on my backup nas :) )

for a 4bay nas i'm not sure why you are using 2 raid 1's for your hard drives. why not 4 hdds into a single raid5? :' You can figure out if doing 2 raid1 2hdds each is better than 1 single raid5 4 hdds, there is a calculator here
https://www.servethehome.com/raid-calculator/

oo qnap now has their own raid calculator
https://www.qnap.com/en/selector/raid-s ... ssdOp=none
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you cannot put cat2 disks in a cat1 device..will probably end up in complete loss of data (the old NAS model will delete the drives)

buy a new NAS(see migration guide) and have backups in the future
ithrbruce
New here

Post by ithrbruce »

Hi,

Thank you both for your kind replies. My issue is not the RAID itself, I had to build the second NAS in that config due to the disks I could source at the time.

I just need to break the mirror for the RAID 1 drives in bays 3 and 4, remove the disk in bay 4, and then place the disk from the failed NAS into bay 4 and read it. Seems though that I can't?

Thank you.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

as said before..you cannot put these disks in a decade old NAS (with data intact)
ithrbruce
New here

Post by ithrbruce »

Okay thanks. I am unable to obtain a new NAS. So it looks like I won't be able to read that data. Okay thanks, your help and time is appreciated. Fortunately, the data wasn't essential, it would have helped to have been able to read it but it now doesn't look like I need to. Also, I now have other backup options going forward. So all is cool. Cheers.

Return to “Backup & Restore”