Storage & Snapshots Snapshot [Storage & Snapshots] Failed to create snapshot

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
andyclough
Starting out

Storage & Snapshots Snapshot [Storage & Snapshots] Failed to create snapshot

Post by andyclough »

Hi guys, me again lol!

Since reconfiguring my NAS this weekend I have been getting this interesting alert every day just gone midnight -

Warning 2022-05-16 01:00:06 admin 127.0.0.1 Storage & Snapshots Snapshot [Storage & Snapshots] Failed to create snapshot. Volume: DataVol1, Storage pool: 2. The pool requires an additional 32.00 GB of free space.

I also get an identical alert for Storage Pool 1 which is the 'system' Volume on the NVMe SSD's.

Now, when I configured the pools and volumes I did not enable guaranteed storage for snapshots as this feature is not something I planned to use as I have a local NAS / USB / Cloud backup strategy, so as far as I know snapshots are simply not enabled, I have certainly not configure any jobs.

I have checked the snapshot settings against my older TS-453A which is running the same / latest firmware and these seem to be identical, however i'm not getting any issues here.

Are there any settings I may be missing before I log a case with QNAP?

Thanks as always (and sorry if this is in the wrong section, I could not decide between here or Backup / Restore)
Andy
TS-453A - 4x Seagate 4TB in RAID5
TS-653D - 6x Seagate Ironwolf 8TB in RAID 5 / 2x WD SSD 1TB RAID 1 for QTS
andyclough
Starting out

Re: Storage & Snapshots Snapshot [Storage & Snapshots] Failed to create snapshot

Post by andyclough »

Just in case anyone does a forum search for the same error - I logged a case with QNAP and they looked in to this remotely, here is the cause of the error and the solution -

Thanks for providing the connection. I checked the NAS that although the volume still have plenty space but the storage pool is full since you are using Thick volume. Thick volume will allocate the storage pool that caused storage pool is full and fails to create snapshots since snapshots using also storage pool space.

The solution is to convert Thick volume to thin volume, then after converting the storage pool space will be released.Follow the steps below:
1. Log in to QTS as an administrator.
2. Go to Storage & Snapshots > Storage > Storage / Snapshots
3. Double-click on thick volumes to enter Volume management
4. Go to Action > Convert to Thin Volume

For the difference between Thick/Thin Volume , please refer to the link below.
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... ick-volume

Hope this helps someone in the future :)
TS-453A - 4x Seagate 4TB in RAID5
TS-653D - 6x Seagate Ironwolf 8TB in RAID 5 / 2x WD SSD 1TB RAID 1 for QTS
RealAdrian
New here

Re: Storage & Snapshots Snapshot [Storage & Snapshots] Failed to create snapshot

Post by RealAdrian »

I've been getting the same message. I've checked and there are no snapshots set up. However I noticed that the snapshot schedule is still enabled. (Snapshot Manager > Schedule Snapshot). It is scheduled at 01:00 every day and the error message appears about 01:00:16 so a good correlation.
I've turned off 'Enable schedule'. Hopefully that will fix the problem without having to change to a Thin volume.

Return to “Backup & Restore”