Why is this so complicated? I just want to backup my data.

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
plain_user
First post

Why is this so complicated? I just want to backup my data.

Post by plain_user »

Hello,

I am new to this forum and to QNAP NAS devices in general. I purchased the TBS-464 recently because it uses SSD for storage. This means it's quiet. I also ready it can do more than just be a NAS, which seems nice. I might do more with it in the future. However, just as a NAS, this thing is very complicated.

I get that this operating system is complex and can do a lot. I get that perhaps this was intended for power users, or maybe not, I don't know. But here's what I don't get: This device is marketed as a NAS. This means I have storage on my network which, theoretically, be easy to utilize. But, it's not easy. Out of the box, wouldn't be reasonable to expect that it should only take a few clicks to set it up for backing up data on my network? Sure, I need a client for my device, too, but again it should be easy to setup for backups.

As it stands, not only does it seem complicated, but I can't validate I'm even doing it correctly or optimally. What does it take to set up a folder on this device and just get my data backed up to it from a Windows PC? What does it take to do this, but for several devices and several household members? QSYNC seems to be the right way, but it's not exactly point and click. Where are the tutorials hitting the ground running of setting up a share/repository, assigning it to a user, and then syncing it with the device?

Look, I get that there's probably dozens of ways to accomplish this, but the two most popular ways are likely backing up data from Windows and from Mac. Mobiles devices would be nice, too, but I'm focusing on Windows for now.

Dear QNAP: Why is this so complicated to do? Where are the "wizards" to run to set up a storage point, a backup user or two or three, and to add device to back up data from? Why can't this be set up using the QNAP client without having to log into the NAS's web page? As long as I have an admin username and password, it should be rather simple to add a new device and a regular user from the client install, wouldn't you think?

Someone please direct me to the tutorials or instructions for properly doing backups from Windows to this QNAP TBS-464 device. Maybe it's out there, but it isn't easy to find for me. Also, there's so many proprietary QNAP monikers and terms being thrown around that it's difficult to understand what is applicable and isn't to my device.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Why is this so complicated? I just want to backup my data.

Post by dolbyman »

No need to talk to qnap here(user forum)..if you need to talk to them, open a ticket.

You are not locked in to any qnap apps here, any program that can backup to network locations will work just fine.

Just use any program you want ...I use veeam and it works a charm
raefe
New here

Post by raefe »

Is HBS 3 SYNC a better simple NAS backup alternative than Netbak Replicator?
moody_blue
Easy as a breeze

Post by moody_blue »

What I'm doing is the following (in QNAP control panel):
1) Enable home folder for all users
2) Create one userid/pw for each windows machine (don't use the admin userid for backup from windows)
3) Enable file service for Microsoft networking
4) Enable UPnP discovery service
5) Review security settings (in my case I blacklist ip's that are using incorrect userid/pw)
In each windows machine, use QFinder to mount qnap home folder (each windows machine must use a separate qnap userid/pw)

Now you can use whatever windows backup tool you want.
QNAP TS-253A 8G QTS 5.0.1.2145
Plex Media Server 1.29.0.6209
OpenHAB 3.4.0.M2
Unifi 7.2.92
Apache80 2454.8230
GLPI 10.0.3
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

moody_blue wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:50 pm
4) Enable UPnP discovery service
Even QNAP recommend NOT to enable UPnP, but to Disable it.

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... np-service
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

Tutorials: https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/how-to/tutorial

Numerous backup utilities will backup to a NAS Share ie \\ip-of-nas\sharename(of folder)\

QNAP has a utility called "NetBak Replicator" that you install onto your PC and run. you then setup what folders/data you want backed up and to where you want the backup to be copied to (A NAS Shared folder)

examples:

https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/how-to/tutor ... replicator

https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/how-to/tutor ... e-qnap-nas

none of this is hard, you just need to read up on how to do things.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository

Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
moody_blue
Easy as a breeze

Post by moody_blue »

Toxic17 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:03 pm Even QNAP recommend NOT to enable UPnP, but to Disable it.
UPnP discovery service is not the same as Enable UPnP port forwarding. It has to do with netbios discovery and not at all related with opening ports for remote access.
QNAP TS-253A 8G QTS 5.0.1.2145
Plex Media Server 1.29.0.6209
OpenHAB 3.4.0.M2
Unifi 7.2.92
Apache80 2454.8230
GLPI 10.0.3
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

QNAP has it own backup solution that you will find in App Center: HBS3 (Hybrid Backup Sync).
Its able to backup/sync data from a remote SMB Server (Windows PC).
IMHO its not the best program for a backup,but its easy to configure and run - if someone is familiar with network and knows how to handle shares.
If you have expected a backup solution like Veeam, Commvault, then QNAP is not the right choice. Then you need indeed to use a 3rd party backup software.

Regards
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

moody_blue wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:53 pm
Toxic17 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:03 pm Even QNAP recommend NOT to enable UPnP, but to Disable it.
UPnP discovery service is not the same as Enable UPnP port forwarding. It has to do with netbios discovery and not at all related with opening ports for remote access.
indeed it is, my bad.

Though I personally dont use discovery either since QNAP devices are already riddled with vulnerabilities, allowing your shares to be found easily is not a good idea.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository

raefe
New here

Post by raefe »

Thanks for all your comments. So whats the best approach?:

- HBS3 (Hybrid Backup Sync)
- Qfinder
- NetBak Replicator

I think I'll just go with NetBak Replicator as it is still proposed as a QNAP Utility suggestion: https://www.qnap.com/en/utilities/essentials

I just hope there is no security issue, because there have been no updates on this software since a few years now...!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

as said further up..use veeam ..file or bare metal backup/restore..works great
haultj
New here

Post by haultj »

We setup separate shares for each workstation on the NAS with unique credentials. We then install Macrium Reflect to image the workstations to the NAS on a schedule. This provides a secure and segregated backup for each workstation to use for file or system restore when and if needed. No need to pay Ransomware and no worries if a hard drive or SSD fails.

Return to “Backup & Restore”