HBS 3 One way sync to One Drive (encrypted)

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
grudi
Starting out

HBS 3 One way sync to One Drive (encrypted)

Post by grudi »

Hi guys

I've create a one way sync job to One Drive with client encryption enabled. I'm now struggeling to understand how to decrypt the files that are on One Drive if I need them. Anybody some suggestions or insight?

Thx, grudi
QNAP TS-653D w/ 4 * Seagate IronWolf ST4000VN008 (RAID5), 1 * WD60EFRX-68L0BN1 - 5 Volumes, 2 Storage Pools, 1 NVMe PCIe SSD for Cache Acceleration (r/o), QNAP DUAL M.2 PCIE SSD EXPANSION CARD - FW: QTS 5.0.0 1891
grudi
Starting out

Re: HBS 3 One way sync to One Drive (encrypted)

Post by grudi »

In the mean time I did found a solution in this forum.
QNAP TS-653D w/ 4 * Seagate IronWolf ST4000VN008 (RAID5), 1 * WD60EFRX-68L0BN1 - 5 Volumes, 2 Storage Pools, 1 NVMe PCIe SSD for Cache Acceleration (r/o), QNAP DUAL M.2 PCIE SSD EXPANSION CARD - FW: QTS 5.0.0 1891
mesqueeb
Starting out

Post by mesqueeb »

@grudi, I was wondering the same thing. Did you find the answer?

1. Where is the encryption key stored?
2. How do we keep this key safe?
3. How can we recover and decrypt our files from the cloud if our NAS has blown up?

Any insight much appreciated.
mesqueeb
Starting out

Post by mesqueeb »

I found all the answers:

1. it's a password you choose yourself and then have to memorise or save somewhere yourself.

2. it's up to you.

3. see the detailed answer below:

-----

Basically if you do a restore from a NEW QNAP NAS, you have to be sure to select "destination" in the setup, and select the backup file (.qdff) manually like so:
Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 18.57.11.png
In the screenshot above, be sure to select "latest version" as well.

Then, going to the next screens, you'll see "Specify a client-side encryption password" on the "Rules" screen.
Screenshot 2020-03-04 at 6.55.20.png
I hope this helps.

-----
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

mesqueeb wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:19 pm 3. How can we recover and decrypt our files from the cloud if our NAS has blown up?
Either by doing a restore on a new NAS as you already described or by using the QuDedup Extract Tool from any of the supported platforms; Windows, MAC or Ubuntu Linux.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
gutek
New here

Post by gutek »

I am afraid that solution provided above only reffers to HBS backup which creates qdff directory, while the topic title states clearly One way sync, which is different tab in HBS.
So what about HBS sync? Completely useless as a backup?

I have around 300GB data which I want to backup to cloud. HBS backup does that well, but if I want to sync it daily it will not go incremental, just pure 300GB every day...
I thought of using HBS Sync instead. It encrypts data in same way, it can go incremental so at the end of the day only data transferred will be the data which changed since last sync. However restoring synced & encrypted files is possible only with separate job from HBS so if my NAS goes down/gets stolen I don't have chance to restore that data without first buying new QNAP device, am I right?

Return to “Backup & Restore”