How Long Should A Disk Migration To New NAS Take?

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
dolbyman
Guru

Re: How Long Should A Disk Migration To New NAS Take?

Post by dolbyman »

well the router itself can run any way it wants, the switch you connect it to dictates the connection speed

So even with a router locked to 100Mbit\s, if all devices are connected via 10GbE to a 10GBE switch, they will talk to each other with 10GBE speeds
tbfohman
Starting out

Post by tbfohman »

Update:

Purchased ASUS RT-AX6S router, and NAS still only connects at 100Mbs
I watch the activity LED's on my switch as the NAS is connecting, and I see two (2) short bursts of 1GB then it connects at 100Mbs
QTS's Ver. 5.0.0.2055 network settings doesn't offer a selection for transmission speed (earlier QTS versions sure did)
(see attached JPEG's)

Would I be able to downgrade QTS to the latest 4.0 version?
If not anything else, just to see if this is QTS problem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

So where is that switch you were talking about .. or are you talking about the built in ports of the router you were using and not a dedicated switch (couple of bucks for a 5 port 1GbE switch)

Normally I would say check the negotiated LAN speed of the adapter but on a fresh install it should be all set to auto

My 1GbE ports have the speed option, my 10GbE card does not
(here my TS-853BU)
negotiation_Lan_speed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tbfohman
Starting out

Post by tbfohman »

Yeah, I have an 8-port Netgear Gigabit switch (GS-108). Here's the routing:

Docsis3.1 modem >
Asus router >
Netgear switch >
NAS, PC1, PC2, Printer, etc...

It's documented that 10GbE and 40GbE ports default to automatic and the speed option is hidden.
I have 2.5GbE ports - no 1GbE
WAY before going out and buying a new router this afternoon, I tried bypassing the switch (router directly to NAS)
I did that with the new router too.... no joy

What version QTS are you running?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

My NAS: (all the current ones I have, a 419p+ but I haven't touched the FW in 6 years on that)

TS-853BU (5.0.0.1986) 10GbE connected
TBS-453DX (5.0.0.1986) 10GbE connected
TVS-951X (5.0.0.1986) (10GbE + 1GbE connected)
TVS-h1288x (h5.0.0.2022) (10GbE + 1GbE connected)

It's the first time I hear of speed negotiation issues though, so I am hesitant to say that it's a software/firmware issue

Let me update the TBS-453DX and see if the latest FW has issues
tbfohman
Starting out

Post by tbfohman »

Holy cow - thanks!

I look forward to your findings.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

OK updated the TBS-453DX to 5.0.0.2055 and 10GbE connects just fine
TBS-10Gbe.JPG
tbfohman
Starting out

Post by tbfohman »

Hey brother - thanks for this effort.
I've got a ticket in to Qnap, and they want to have a screen-share session with me.
Good news is that I'm restoring my backups, and so far they're coming back intact.

I'll keep you up to date.
Tally-Ho!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Best of Luck
tbfohman
Starting out

Post by tbfohman »

So, I'm a bonehead...

I've solved the network interface issue.
Of course, when a 1GbE connection degrades down to 100Mbps, the first thing to do is check cables.
I did this - a couple of times - but didn't test using a different PORT on my switch - until this morning....
I never would have thought that an electrical spike would only take out a single port, but it did.

Lesson learned.

Much big thanks to all. So far, all is well
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

I have been in this exact situation. Netgear has discontinued most of it's XS series 10G switches now, but I have used them for years. And I have gotten screwed countless times with
ports dying, or dropping in speed. This is one of the main reasons to have a managed switch - so you can log into it and see the speed that the port is detecting. With an unmanaged switch,
from any manufacturer - including QNAP (QSW-1208-8C) - you can't tell anything - and just have to guess and say "gee - why isn't this working". With a managed switch, you can see what is going on.
With the Netgear series of 10G switches, when these problems would occur (which was all the time) - I would do a factory default reset, and set everything up again, and the switch ports would usually
come back to life. I complained about this to Netgear, mainly on their forums, and Netgear would never address this (but other users on the Netgear forums would say they saw the same problems).

There is always a new lesson to be learned. People think I am a QNAP expert. Let me assure you - I KNOW NOTHING. I am always amazed how little I understand when I run into a new problem, after installing
hundreds and hundreds of these systems - and then something happens, and I sit there, saying to myself "what the heck is going on here !".
Bob
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com

Return to “Backup & Restore”