Sync Job deleted new file in target folder

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
gerd@hinastea.com
Starting out

Sync Job deleted new file in target folder

Post by gerd@hinastea.com »

Hi,

Till now I used a TS-451 4x WD Red 8TB, with Raid 5 as backup server for multiple Macs. I copy daily documents, software downloads. Once in a while I copy music files to the QNAP. she firmware version is 4.3.6.0979. Then I copy my weekly backup images to shared folder Backup_Weekly.

I now purchased a TS-673 as I needed more space and added 5 WD Red 10TB disks, with Raid 5. Firmware is the same as on the TS-451.

I setup several backup jobs (using HBS 3) to copy all my data from the 451 to the 673 but now realize that any new files in the target directory get deleted, even though those were new files that did not exist on the 451. Those backup jobs are used once to get all data to the 673.

Here is what I did:
On the 673 I created a new shared folder Backup_Weekly. Its the same folder name I use on the 451 for all my weekly backups.
I copied several backup files from the Mac into this directory on the 673 using the front USB port. I confirmed in File Station that I see the new backup files. Those files were the only ones on the 673.

Next, I created an RRTR one-way sync job pointing to the 673. Test connection worked. I selected source directory Backup_Weekly and target directory Backup_Weekly. No filtering. Saved the sync job and started it. Because of all the old backup files I have on the 451 it took about 24 hours to complete the backup job. But when checking the target directory I found that all the new files I initially copied from the Mac had been deleted.

I had assumed that the sync job just copies what does not exist in the target directory and just leaves anything else that might exist in that folder alone. But it looks like this is more like "mirroring" instead of syncing. What do I do wrong?

Once all the data exists in the 673 I need to setup new sync jobs from the 673 to the 451, but also want to ensure that only new files/folders on the 673 will be copied to the 451 and all the old data is kept in the folders.

Now my question, do I have to setup my sync job differently? How? Should I use RRTR or Rsync backup jobs? Both QNAP are right next to each other.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and comments.

Gerd
QNAP TS-673 Firmware 5.1.5.2645, 6x WD100EFAX Raid 5
P3R
Guru

Re: Sync Job deleted new file in target folder

Post by P3R »

gerd@hinastea.com wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:24 pm I had assumed that the sync job just copies what does not exist in the target directory and just leaves anything else that might exist in that folder alone. But it looks like this is more like "mirroring" instead of syncing. What do I do wrong?
If the policy Remove additional files in destination folder is selected the sync job will create an exact copy (or mirror). If you untick that same option any files already present on the destination will remain.
Should I use RRTR or Rsync backup jobs? Both QNAP are right next to each other.
RTRR is in most cases the preferred protocol.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
gerd@hinastea.com
Starting out

Post by gerd@hinastea.com »

That was it. Now it is so obvious but for whatever reason I had not checked the Rules.

Thanks for you help.
QNAP TS-673 Firmware 5.1.5.2645, 6x WD100EFAX Raid 5
michaeltate
New here

Post by michaeltate »

Just discovered this the hard way. I synced a number of project folders to take them home and work. Brought the drive back this morning and plugged it in thinking it would SYNCHRONIZE my source and destination folders. NOPE, it deleted the newer files on the destination drive because of this retarded default setting. What an absolute idiotic default setting for a SYNC job!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

please do not necropost in 3 year old threads

thread > closed

Return to “Backup & Restore”