how to access data on a QNAP HDD / retrieve

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
ZoneOutDK
New here

how to access data on a QNAP HDD / retrieve

Post by ZoneOutDK »

Hey there Folks

Hope its the right place i post this.

my problem is that i had a Qnap TS-412, but sold it because i wasnt using it. i took my Harddisks out, but forgot to take that data over on another drive.

so i tryed to take my HDDs and put it in to my main desktop pc and access the Data, but i wont let me in, and ask to
formats the HDDs back to new.

can any of you please help me, on how i can access or retrieve my data from my 3 HDDs

thanks so far :)
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: how to access data on a QNAP HDD / retrieve

Post by FSC830 »

Not really possible in an easy way!
How have the disks been configured, as a raid5, raid0, single disks, JBOD?
Which OS is running at your main PC, I guess Windows, because it claims for formatting? 8)
A Linux system would be much better here, the disks are most likely containing an EXT filesystem.

If disks have been configured as raid, you need to reassemble the raid. For this you need to connect all disks at the same time to the PC.
An optional way is to buy a special software which can store the disk images each after each and reassemble the raid from the images.
But then you need at least 3 times free capacity of disk size!

Regards
ZoneOutDK
New here

Post by ZoneOutDK »

Thanks for the answer.

i know that the Disk wasnt set to raid. just normal 1 hdd to storage
and yes i run windows, and was hope that when the disks was not in raid that i could just place them back in to an normal PC.
its kinda anoring that the data is changed to another fil time or crypted so that you cant just retrieve that data from the disk.

but sounds expensive to buy a special software, but atleast i have the space to the data
ZoneOutDK
New here

Post by ZoneOutDK »

would i be able to buy a ny Qnap nas system and put the disk in to them and then get access to the data and copy it ?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

these old cat1 disks should be readable via extreader

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/

single disks and no backups (ever thought of disk failure?) and on top assuming that you can just willy nilly read them without the NAS...you are actively trying to lose data here, aren't you?
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

ZoneOutDK wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:26 pm
its kinda anoring that the data is changed to another fil time or crypted so that you cant just retrieve that data from the disk.
Pretty much every commercial NAS that you would buy does NOT run windows or a compatible file system. Most these days run a version of Linux, but it used to be a closed proprietary O/S so you are more or less lucky that it may be even remotely possible to access your data. This should have been somewhat obvious due to the entirely different (non-Windows) GUI that you use to access the device, the fact that you have to map drives, that it's a standalone device, that there is no "windows license" sticker on the box, etc :)

If this is your only backup of your data, then you are putting yourself in a bad position. You should have proper, accessible, copies of your data. Messing around with drives where they could be potentially formatted (as you have indicated) is not a wise choice so proceed carefully, one wrong click and your data will be gone forever.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]

Return to “Backup & Restore”