Back up 872

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
ghatz
New here

Back up 872

Post by ghatz »

I recently bought a 872 nas and i was wondering what would be the best way to back up files I no longer need in the nas?
An external device? I wish that this back up can be directly mounted on my mac without need for network or qnap software.
I was also thinking to reserve two disks on the 872 and use them as back up of my main volumes. Is this wise?

I would appreciate any feedback

Thank you

George
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Back up 872

Post by dolbyman »

So if you want to relocate files from the NAS to another media..that's NOT a backup..

Never do backups to NAS internal disks

Easiest for backup/relocations would be an external disk or DAS device
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

The backup medium you choose is directly related to how important the data is to *YOU*.

CD, DVD, USB Stick, USB drive, Cloud, HDD/docking bay, secondary/backup NAS, etc.

Plan for the media to degrade over time, the hardware interface to be unavailable or other data corruption (i.e. maybe more than 1 copy if it is important).

Some of my data doesn't get backed up (original source is external 3rd party so I rely on them - low importance) and some of my data gets copied to my NAS, then a second NAS, then my Google Drive, then manually copied to 3 flash drives which go in a local safe and a safety deposit box once a month), then archived on a 3rd backup NAS at a remote location. Most of my data is something in between these options.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
ghatz
New here

Post by ghatz »

dosborne wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:11 pm The backup medium you choose is directly related to how important the data is to *YOU*.

CD, DVD, USB Stick, USB drive, Cloud, HDD/docking bay, secondary/backup NAS, etc.

Plan for the media to degrade over time, the hardware interface to be unavailable or other data corruption (i.e. maybe more than 1 copy if it is important).

Some of my data doesn't get backed up (original source is external 3rd party so I rely on them - low importance) and some of my data gets copied to my NAS, then a second NAS, then my Google Drive, then manually copied to 3 flash drives which go in a local safe and a safety deposit box once a month), then archived on a 3rd backup NAS at a remote location. Most of my data is something in between these options.
Thank you!
ghatz
New here

Post by ghatz »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:51 pm So if you want to relocate files from the NAS to another media..that's NOT a backup..

Never do backups to NAS internal disks

Easiest for backup/relocations would be an external disk or DAS device
Do you know if QNAP TR-004 qualify for such a relocation that can be mounted directly on my mac at a later stage?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you setup the TR as external storage (and not storage pool), yes

Return to “Backup & Restore”