existing time machine backup/share is not connected/can't be found

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
cs7404
Know my way around

existing time machine backup/share is not connected/can't be found

Post by cs7404 »

hello,

i've got a red exclamation mark (in macOS-->Time Machine) on the time machine backup that's on my QNAP nas ... it's saying that it's not connected, however I do have the share mounted in macOS.

may be overlooking something obvious here, but can't find much in the way of controls in macOS to check it or reconnect to it. i had forgotten the process i followed to initially set it up the first time, but it's been working for a while and today just noticed I have this issue.

could anyone advise on what to do to reconnect the backup, or in worst case - blow it away and start a new one ? i already have another TM disk I use so I wouldn't be at much risk if i had to recreate a new backup share on the QNAP. hopefully won't have to go that far ...
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491
cs7404
Know my way around

Re: existing time machine backup/share is not connected/can't be found

Post by cs7404 »

.. answering my own issue

simply removing and re-adding the disk in Time Machine, it was able to find the existing backup and reuse it.

for some reason mac OS lost synchronization with it.
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491
dgmelvin
New here

Post by dgmelvin »

Since loading Ventura on my mac it no longer can see the Time Machine link on my nas. Anyone have any idea how to solve this? It all seems to be setup correctly and it's worked for several years.

Attached is the error message my mac gets when I try to use Time Machine.
Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 7.31.01 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
QNAP TVS-472ST, 64gb ram
4 8tb drives
1 2tb SSD cache
Plex
cs7404
Know my way around

Post by cs7404 »

@dgmelvin,
did you previously have the tmbackup network share mapped on mac os ?
i have mine mounted on boot using a tool called Connect Me Now. regardless of how you automount your shares, the share should be mounted first and then try starting time machine, and go thru the process of picking a disk for tm to use (like you would setting up first time). when you pick the tmbackup share, tm will ask you if you want to use the existing backup thats there.
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491

Return to “Backup & Restore”