QNAP TVS-872X QuTs Hero + TL-D800C (automating backups)

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
bencolense
New here

QNAP TVS-872X QuTs Hero + TL-D800C (automating backups)

Post by bencolense »

Hi there

I backed up my data using a Sabrent 4-Bay docking station connected to my x72x NAS. I scheduled the device to start up every week for four hours using a smart plug. Once connected to the NAS, my NAS would back up the device and then eject it automatically (a feature via HBS 3 Backup Sync). Afterwards, the smart plug would turn it off by cutting the power. It worked (and still works) flawlessly with the docking station. I wanted to reduce power consumption and extend the lifespan of the HDD drives by turning them on not more than 4 hours per week.

However, I now require larger storage space, so I purchased a TL-D800C and expected that it could work the same way, but I cannot configure my TVS-872X QuTs Hero NAS to eject it from the TL-D800C.

The storage pools are prepared/managed by the NAS, and the TL-D800C is not recognised as external devices, so I guess that is why HBS 3 does not offer the option to eject it. I need to eject it manually, and when I disconnect it, I get error messages that notify me that the TL-D800C has been disconnected. Also, when I reconnect the TL-D800C, I need to either re-attach the storage pool or manually recover the raid. It's a hassle.

So now I am wondering if I could eject the TL-D800C and re-attach storage pools/recover raids through cron jobs to keep it all automated. I don't want to be bothered with it, and I don't want to keep it on all the time, but I've never dealt with cron jobs before.

Do you know if this is possible and, if yes, how I could automate everything?

Thanks so much in advance!!
bencolense

QNAP TVS-872X QuTs Hero MOBO Version 1.7, 8x Toshiba 18TB Enterprise, 2x NVME, 100 Magery, 100 Meditation, 100 Evaluating Intelligence, 100 Resisting Spells, 100 Swordsmanship, 100 Tactics, 100 Wrestling - 90 Str, 45 Dex, 90 Int
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP TVS-872X QuTs Hero + TL-D800C (automating backups)

Post by dolbyman »

Internal Storage Pools should not be ejected/powercut or otherwise fiddled with

Best would have been a larger DAS device (like a TR004) that could have kept on working as external storage.

See if you can return the TL and get a TR or equivalent block storage DAS
bencolense
New here

Post by bencolense »

Okay, thanks for your help!

I replaced it with a RAID 0 enclosure and I was relieved at first! When I connected the 5-Bay RAID 0 Enclosure it was regonised, but once I ejected it, the NAS won't recognise it anymore. Have disconnected/reconnected USB, tried different USB ports and restarted the devices several times (power on/off) to no avail.

It worked again when restarted NAS - getting worried as I do want to restart the NAS every time a backup job is completed.

I remember that the same happened with the D800C a few times in RAID but also in single disk mode (seen as external drives) - once it was disconnected and powered offthe and on again, QNAP storage manager did not recognise it.

Is this a known bug that can be fixed?
bencolense

QNAP TVS-872X QuTs Hero MOBO Version 1.7, 8x Toshiba 18TB Enterprise, 2x NVME, 100 Magery, 100 Meditation, 100 Evaluating Intelligence, 100 Resisting Spells, 100 Swordsmanship, 100 Tactics, 100 Wrestling - 90 Str, 45 Dex, 90 Int
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You would have to ask QNAP
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

bencolense wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:00 pm
The storage pools are prepared/managed by the NAS, and the TL-D800C is not recognised as external devices, so I guess that is why HBS 3 does not offer the option to eject it. I need to eject it manually, and when I disconnect it, I get error messages that notify me that the TL-D800C has been disconnected. Also, when I reconnect the TL-D800C, I need to either re-attach the storage pool or manually recover the raid. It's a hassle.

So now I am wondering if I could eject the TL-D800C and re-attach storage pools/recover raids through cron jobs to keep it all automated. I don't want to be bothered with it, and I don't want to keep it on all the time, but I've never dealt with cron jobs before.

I remember that the same happened with the D800C a few times in RAID but also in single disk mode (seen as external drives) - once it was disconnected and powered offthe and on again, QNAP storage manager did not recognise it.

Is this a known bug that can be fixed?
i have a tl-d400s model setup using QTS

when i plug in and it detects an external device, it will show unitialized partitions.

so whenever i see this, i have to go to DISK/VJBOD > actions > recover (going to the recover from the top right does not work for some reason. but the actions > recover in the bottom area in the QTS UI does.)

anyway the recover for my raid5 pool for the tl-d400s succeeds fine. it's just that sometimes after i eject and power off this external device, then later power on and connect it, i have to recover each time. not sure if this is how the device works or not. my setup for the device was by creating the raid5 for 4 x 4tb drives using QTS :'

i can see the device in storage/snapshots and disks/vjbod, but not shown under external storage and external storage device manegement.

anyway i backup to this device using HBS. only quirk is having to recover to successfully mount the device whenever i power/connect it back again, otherwise it simply just shows the partitions as uninitiated and inaccessible (until i do the recover)

recover seems to work fine and i don't notice any data corrupted afaik :'
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

the TR series for this type of box is able to spindown when the disk is not being used. I assume it will wake up when HBS runs an automated scheduled job?

so i assume the TL series is also capable of this? that said i don't use spindown/sleep mode because i doubt i can get it to work for my main nas, and doesn't seem as u can selectively enable it for the TR box but not main nas. which is why i do my HBS backup jobs manually, and when done i just power off.

you also may want to create a support ticket to qnap helpdesk cause i doubt many here would know some of the answers to those questions with certainty :) also u may want to take another look at the manual on the product support page as some of the notes could be mentioned there for some of operations of the device.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Backup & Restore”