after usb backup working for years, "the volume cannot be mounted or recognized"

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
tombj
Getting the hang of things

after usb backup working for years, "the volume cannot be mounted or recognized"

Post by tombj »

I've used the same setup to back up my qnap ths453dx since I bought it, and used hbs3 since it became available with no issues. I leave a powered off pluggable brand external USB drive attached to the NAS, and insert a drive and power it up when I want to do a backup. NOW qnap says "the volume cannot be mounted or recognized" with a little warning triangle, in the attached devices drop down at the top of the screen. I have all latest updated firmware and apps. I've seen others had this problem years ago with no specific remedy. How do I fix this nowadays?
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: after usb backup working for years, "the volume cannot be mounted or recognized"

Post by dosborne »

Test the USB drive on a PC?
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
tombj

Re: after usb backup working for years, "the volume cannot be mounted or recognized"

Post by tombj »

I believe it is formatted ext4, I don't think a pc can read that...
Cadster
Starting out

Post by Cadster »

i had the same problem and was able to solve them by installing USB Serial Drivers from the community store.
TS-253A 8Gb
tombj

Post by tombj »

Sorry buy I was not able to locate anything like that, where is the "community store", do you mean the official qnap app store?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

No guarantees but I think this is meant by the hint up there

https://www.qnapclub.eu/en/qpkg/803
tombj

Post by tombj »

OK. Just formatted the drive ntfs with a pc, returned it to the NAS external unit and I think it may be working. The Nas seems to be confused and is showing a rotating working icon in storage manager and is showing no external devices attached now even though there is a snmp UPS attached and the external drive should be device #2. I'll wait a while then reboot.
tombj

Post by tombj »

now I see the device connected properly, but still get a rotating icon in file station next to the nas name and am unable to access the folders on the nas. eventually I get "the server is busy or the network is disconnected! MAke sure the NAS can be reached and then reload the page" dialog box. If I eject the external drive then go over and power it off, then refresh the nas window, I am then able to access files on the nas. Of course because of this I cannot set up a backup job because HBS3 needs to access the NAS file structure to select folders. Something is rotten here and I made NO changes to hardware or software or external disk or drive unit. I did notice the latest firmware update has configured itself so it did security and quality updates automatically, so I don't know when the last update was done or if that was what caused this, but how do I back up the NAS now?
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

tombj wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:29 am ...
I did notice the latest firmware update has configured itself so it did security and quality updates automatically, so I don't know when the last update was done or if that was what caused this, but how do I back up the NAS now?
I do recommend never allow automatic installation of updates!
QNAP (not only, others, i.e. Microsoft too) have proved in history that automated updates could cause serious trouble!

If current firmware has an issue with USB a downgrade to last working firmware is a solution.

Regards
tombj

Post by tombj »

"I do recommend never allow automatic installation of updates!"

Neither do I, but I figured I'd give it a try. In any case downgraded to 5.0.0.2131 and it seems to be working, I can access the nas when the external drive is attached and was able to configure a backup job, and the backup is running. I don't know if it is successful yet but if not I'll report back.

Return to “Backup & Restore”