Recovery of a deleted folder

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
helmman
Starting out

Recovery of a deleted folder

Post by helmman »

I deleted accidentally one folder from my Qnap-221 NAS.
It was configured to Raid 1, I think. Like same data saved to both discs.

I noticed the accident in like half an hour, so unfortunately I did some actions with files in the mean time (like deleting and moving files and I did not save anything to Recovery Bin.

First I switched the Nas off from the power button and then removed the other hard drive. I connected it to my PC, which finds the disc, but cannot read it. It says that should formatted. Of course I did not do that since formatting deletes all dats from the disc, if Im right.

Would there be any easy way to recover the folder without Linux skills ( I dont have any) ?

Also I then turned the power on for the NAS with only one disc in. It seems that it does not recover to normal operation, it is blinking the lights and also the power button is blinkig red. It has been doing tht for 1.5 hours Also the Qfinder does not seem to get contact to it.

It should be possible torun it only with one disc ?
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: Recovery of a deleted folder

Post by dosborne »

Raid (in any form) is not a backup and does not provide the functionality you are looking for in this case.

Raid 1 mirrors the 2 drives instantly, there is no benefit from a time delay, or quickly trying to recover a file. The 2 drives are written to at virtually the same time and even if it takes a few extra milliseconds to write to the second one, you have no control over which one is actually written to first.

The only real hope other than a backup, is if you have enabled the recycle bin on the NAS itself (Look for an @recycle directory in the root) or if you have snapshots or something else enabled.

Not "lecturing:, but this is why you should have backups of your data (to at least an external backup location. Data deletion, fire, theft, ransomware, disk failure, etc etc

One option, for some people depending on your individual needs, is to NOT mirror the drives with RAID, but use HBS3 (or rsync etc) to make a copy. I do this on a couple of my NAS boxes. For example, on one system, every hour HDD1 gets rsynced to HDD2. On another of my NAS, I do this every night at midnight. (this is of course in addition to copy to other NAS boxes, the cloud and other manual copies)

At a minimum, moving forward, you should look at enabling the network recycle bin
Network and Files Services -> Network Recycle Bin -> Enable Network Recycle Bin

As another option, also free since you don't need extra hardware, if appropriate for your environment, split the RAID into individual disks. Unfortunately, this requires a fair bit of work (backup, reconfigure, restore). However, RAID 1 may be more appropriate if you want to provide some protection against a disk failure.

Unfortunately, none of this is going to be of any help in your current situation. But I would strongly suggest NOT playing around with pulling drives out, connecting to a PC etc as that is likely to lead to MORE data loss. This could be why you can't boot the system now.

There is a VERY slim chance if you took the drive to a professional data recovery firm that maybe they could recover something, but I would put that option at <1%
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
helmman
Starting out

Post by helmman »

Hi thanks for you comments.

I know that the Raid system does not give any protection for this kind of user errors.

Thereason I detached the other disc and connected it direct to Pc was that I found. a software that could help in finding deleted files, but in this case it did not work.

I was in touch with professionals, they will come back on Monday, so we will then see what happens.

Anyway this is not very serious, I am not losing any money or business related files, but some of the files contained unique memories.

In the future I need to consider your advise and do things better.
helmman
Starting out

Post by helmman »

Now I downloaded a software that could help in recovering the files I am running it in the same local network as where the Nas is.

When it starts the process I have to enable the SSH service on the Nas and give the user name and password.

I have enabled the SSH service and fill in the the same username and password that I usually use when logging in the the Nas. Is this correct ?
I also have to give the IP-address, I guess that this is the local network address like 192.168….., also is this correct.

The software finds the Nas, but when I give the above mentiined info it starts scanning, but crashes to desktop almost at once.

I don’t know if the SSH is actually working, so I downloaded Putty.

When I start Putty and also give the IP, username and password nothing happens (well the cursor is blinking) so maybe the SSH is not working.

How could I ensure that SSH is working and if it is not, what could be the problem ?
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

You should see something when logging in.
If using the original admin account you usually see a menu with options. If running with an alternative admin account, you need to ensure, that for this account SSH access is allowed.
If SSH at NAS is not running, then the connection should be rejected. Putty will give a pop-up in this case.

Regards

Return to “Backup & Restore”