QNAP Backup over LAN - Secure

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Chef42
New here

QNAP Backup over LAN - Secure

Post by Chef42 »

Hello,
I'd really appreciate some advice please... I have two QNAP NAS's - one acting as a file server and media server and the other is a backup. They're on the same LAN and I want to run incremental backups across the LAN. The only ways I've found are:

1. Syncing files across the LAN using HBS3, which is rubbish because a complete failure on my file server would mean recovering individual files
2. Enabling RTRR in HBS3, but this means opening port 8899 - this seems crazy from a security perspective, especially seeing as they're on the same LAN.

Can anyone give me any ideas of how I could securely create a robust backup routine please, or tell me my concerns over open ports aren't founded?

Thanks very much!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP Backup over LAN - Secure

Post by dolbyman »

How would you "open" ports and where? How is that crazy?
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Chef42 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:49 pm 1. Syncing files across the LAN using HBS3, which is rubbish because a complete failure on my file server would mean recovering individual files
Not sure why this is "rubbish". Many situations call for individual file recovery, but maybe this isn't what you are looking for in this particular case. If you deleted a file by accident, restoring 1 file is often easier. Are you asking for a "disk image" style of backup? Personally, I like the rsync style, as it allows me selectively copy entire folder structures or individual sections or files to many remote systems including the cloud. It also protects against corruption. If a single "bit" of an image file gets corrupted, then the entire backup becomes useless.

But, these 2 styles, and other options, should be considered to match your particular environment, so may not be appropriate for you. I just wanted to point this out in case others are looking for backup options and wonder why they should or should not consider rsync.
Chef42 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:49 pm 2. Enabling RTRR in HBS3, but this means opening port 8899 - this seems crazy from a security perspective, especially seeing as they're on the same LAN.
As @dolbyman asked, where are you having to open this port? There should be no reason to either be concerned if it is within your LAN, and there should be no reason why it would be necessary on any device other than the source and destination. Whatever mechanism you end up using, even image based backups, some port or other has to be "open" in order for the 2 systems to see each other.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
Chef42
New here

Post by Chef42 »

dosborne wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:53 pm
Chef42 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:49 pm 1. Syncing files across the LAN using HBS3, which is rubbish because a complete failure on my file server would mean recovering individual files
Not sure why this is "rubbish". Many situations call for individual file recovery, but maybe this isn't what you are looking for in this particular case. If you deleted a file by accident, restoring 1 file is often easier. Are you asking for a "disk image" style of backup? Personally, I like the rsync style, as it allows me selectively copy entire folder structures or individual sections or files to many remote systems including the cloud. It also protects against corruption. If a single "bit" of an image file gets corrupted, then the entire backup becomes useless.

Sorry - I probably shouldn't say things like rubbish! What I really mean is that the QNAP database can't be sync'd properly this way, so a fast and full restore wouldn't be possible, rather I'd have to restore individual files/folders. It may be this is what I end up staying with.

But, these 2 styles, and other options, should be considered to match your particular environment, so may not be appropriate for you. I just wanted to point this out in case others are looking for backup options and wonder why they should or should not consider rsync.

Agreed, thanks.
Chef42 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:49 pm 2. Enabling RTRR in HBS3, but this means opening port 8899 - this seems crazy from a security perspective, especially seeing as they're on the same LAN.
As @dolbyman asked, where are you having to open this port? There should be no reason to either be concerned if it is within your LAN, and there should be no reason why it would be necessary on any device other than the source and destination. Whatever mechanism you end up using, even image based backups, some port or other has to be "open" in order for the 2 systems to see each other.
I haven't looked into the detail. From what I can see, it looks like HBS communicates out and needs port forwarding setup on the router. I guess it communicates with QNAP cloud in some way but I'd been hoping someone might have had particular experience/understanding of how this application works. Naturally I don't want to open ports and configure port forwarding.

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

no .. there is no port forwarding needed for any LAN internal backup function (never ever ever forward any ports to your QNAP) .. so it's unclear where you got that info from
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Chef42 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:45 pm I guess it communicates with QNAP cloud in some way ...
Nope. Not a requirement nor recommended.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
Chef42
New here

Post by Chef42 »

Thanks folks - I guess I got the wrong end of the stick then! Much appreciated.

Return to “Backup & Restore”