Automated power on / off of external USB device

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
PeterT1959
Know my way around

Automated power on / off of external USB device

Post by PeterT1959 »

For some time now I've been using HBS to automate a daily backup of data from my QNAP to an external USB device. I was aware that leaving the USB device plugged into the QNAP at all times though would leave it open to the (unlikely since I'm not exposed to the internet) risk of that device being encrypted by malware.

I finally twigged to the fact that a SMART plug and IFTTT could help.

My solution is as follows.
- my PC Backup to QNAP send an email to IFTTT when that backup completes
- IFTTT on receipt of that email triggers KASA to turn on my external USB device
- the HBS backup job is set to auto start on USB storage device being connected
- when the HBS job completes it elects the USB device and sends an email to IFTTT
- IFTTT on receipt of the backup ended message triggers KASA to turn off the USB device

I know slightly convoluted but it does achieve the goal.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

skatercorpse
New here

Re: Automated power on / off of external USB device

Post by skatercorpse »

Wow, that is great, this is a solution I was looking for but I didn't know about IFTTT and haven't thought about a SMART plug (KASA in this case).
Thanks!

Would it be possible for you to make a small step by step guide with some details in addition to what you already exposed?
Maybe with some screenshots to show the options needed in order to make everything works flawlessly :)

With "my PC Backup to QNAP send an email to IFTTT when that backup completes" what do you mean? I have a QNAP NAS (hs-453dx), I know that HBS can send mails...is this what you mean by "my PC backup to QNAP"? That HBS send the email to IFTTT?

Does anybody else use this kind of solution?

Thank you!
Gaudi
Easy as a breeze

Re: Automated power on / off of external USB device

Post by Gaudi »

Hi, thank you for your solution, though it requires some convoluted steps to accomplish something that could potentially be built in.
I have raised a ticket with QNAP to ask if it would be possible to run a script after the job completes, as it is already performing an action (namely, send an email). This way you could power off your device, or do anything else you want to upon completion.
My thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=121&t=167666&p=827480#p827480

QNAP replied that it can not currently be done, and that they will pass along the request to the development team.

I suggest that anyone that visits this thread raises a ticket as well in order for them to conisder the implementation.

Regards

Return to “Backup & Restore”