TVS-872XU-RP died after firmware update

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
GiljamKoch
New here

TVS-872XU-RP died after firmware update

Post by GiljamKoch »

Dear All,

I've got a TVS-872XU-RP which died on me while updating the firmware. At least it died after the firmware update reboot, I think there is a hardware issue. The disks are not spinning up and no lights are on the front. Only NIC activity lights at the back. So the PSU's seems to be okay?

Tried the following:
Reseated PSU's, swapped the PSU's 1 -> 2, 2->1, no luck
Removed disks and m2 cache card (QM2-2S10G1TA), no activity as well
Connected a HDMI monitor. No signal on the monitor

I presume the backbone or mainboard is broken?

We have a second identical (in every way) TVS-872XU-RP which we could use for recovery. Can we move the disks and the M.2 pci-e card or the ssd's over to this recovery machine and migrate the data to the working one?

The second tvs-872xu-rp is configured as a off-site qnap but it only contains a subset of the data (due to bandwidth limitations).

If we can use this QNAP for recovery of the broken one. Do we have to clear the current configuration first?

Thank you so much for your response/ support!

Kind regards,

Giljam
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TVS-872XU-RP died after firmware update

Post by dolbyman »

sounds like the typical mass error of these

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=153097

If you want to migrate the disks to a migration compatible NAS remove all (ALL) disks from the old NAS and move all (ALL) disks over

Next time have backups at all times !
GiljamKoch
New here

Post by GiljamKoch »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:13 am sounds like the typical mass error of these

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=153097

If you want to migrate the disks to a migration compatible NAS remove all (ALL) disks from the old NAS and move all (ALL) disks over

Next time have backups at all times !
Thank you for your response.

Not as massive as the one you linked. All production data is safely backupped to a secondary QNAP.

I read that before you migrate you should disable ssd cache on the source QNAP, but in this case the defective QNAP is not starting up anymore. The 2 x M.2 configured in RAID1 as SSD cache can also be moved to a migration compatible QNAP ? Or is the usage of ssd cache a no-go in these cases?
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Cache is a mess in that case.
Anyhow, only chance to bring volume back is as said to move all media, SSD and disks, to the new NAS. And you must not insert any additional media, only the media from the old NAS.

Regards
GiljamKoch
New here

Post by GiljamKoch »

Managed to migrate all production data from the replica in the weekend.

We replaced the tvs-782xu with a ts-783aeu-rp model today. Migrated the disks and the m.2 cache disks as is (on the pci-e card). Worked like a charm! So, recovery wasn't really necessary but it was a good excercise anyway. Learned a lot. In particular that HBS3 can be a pain in the **. Managed to extract it using the Windows qdedup tool.

Thanks for your support!

PS. This QNAP most likely also has the B360 pch bug (LPC CNT). I am currently in contact with QNAP regarding a RMA procedure for both TVS units.

Return to “Backup & Restore”