Change an old Qnap with a new one without losing data

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
kriminal
Starting out

Change an old Qnap with a new one without losing data

Post by kriminal »

Hi to all,
I've a new 8 bay Qnap with 4 disks on board and on old 4 bay Qnap with 4 disks.
The amount of data on the old Qnap it's more than the space left on the new Qnap.
Can I remove the 4 disks on old Qnap and install on the 4 empty bay of the new one without losing data?
Thank you.
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: Change an old Qnap with a new one without losing data

Post by FSC830 »

Not really a good idea.
Actually I say no, this will not work!
Adding the disks offline (when NAS is powered off) ends most likely in a mess, because each set of disk have a configuration and QTS, so it is a game, which set is addressed at first and starts. I would definitely not do that.
Addings the disks online (NAS is powered on) ***could work***, but there is no guarantee!
The new raid is IMHO at least offline. In addition, the system partition is updated with the system from new NAS, so way back is most likely not possible.

The best way is to add new disks to new NAS and run backup/sync jobs to migrate the data.
The second best choice (depends to raid capacity): buy an external USB drive, connect it to old NAS, copy data.
Remove all disks from old NAS, connect them to PC and remove partition information, insert the disks in new NAS and expand exiting raid or create a new raid.
Connect USB drive to new NAS and copy data back.

Another way would have been (but its to late now):
Place only the 4 disks from old NAS in new NAS (so-called NAS migration), add the 4 additional disks to new NAS and all have been fine.
But you cant do that now.

Regards
kriminal
Starting out

Post by kriminal »

Could the "Nas-Migration" works also with different firmware (New - QTS 5.0.1.2194), (Old -QTS 4.2.6)?
If yes I could backup the few data present, reset it at factory defaults, power off, remove the disks and change it with the four disks of the old Qnap.
Thank you.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The OS is on the disks..resetting the NAS without disks in It does nothing
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

QTS 4.2.6 is a old legacy firmware, QTS 5.0.1 a new HAL firmware.
You cant migrate this in a useful way.
May be migration from 4.2.6 to 5.0.1 is possibe, you need to check at QNAP web site, but the volume remains a legacy volume, so all advantages for a pool and snapshots cant be used.
Even if you decide to use a static volume instead of a pool, I would recommend to create this raidgroup new and not migrate it from old NAS.

Regards
kriminal
Starting out

Post by kriminal »

Hi to all
I've almost finished the activity.

- Powered off both QNAP
- Removed the disks from old QNAP (QTS 4.2.6)
- Removed disks from new Qnap (QTS 5.0.1) after backup data
- Inserted the old qnap disks in the new Qnap respecting the order
- Powered on new Qnap, it mounts the old legacy volume without any problem and starts with the 5.0.1
- Inserted the new disks in empty slots and created a volume with maximum size
- Copied all the data on new created volume and in other spare disks (it' a long copy)

When copy will finished

- Delete the old legacy volume and create a new one
- Move all the data back

Thank you
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

kriminal wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:38 am
- Delete the old legacy volume and create a new one
but why do it that way though?

if it were me, i'd just backup everything first.

move the drives i want to the new nas (maybe you don't have to do this, but sometimes i also connect the drives to desktop pc first, to clear the partitions and do a simple quick format. then now the qnap will treat these as if they are clean brand new drives), then do reinitialize. it will do EVERYTHING from scratch.

but seems like what you did, you moved the qts from the old nas, to the new nas, and only just redid the volume.

is it because you didn't want to resetup qts again, for share, settings etc? i mean how advanced was your setup to begin with? (did you have vms setup? some other special qpkgs? etc) If you were previously using a basic setup of just having shares (and no other fancy apps), you can just note down the share names, and redo them all.

Then you can be certain you didn't carry over legacy stuff from the old nas.

i'm not sure just if just redoing the volume is sufficient or not. but i do know doing a full reinitialization is for certain :D
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Backup & Restore”