How to (re)use my TS421 with a new full set of new HDDs?

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
soficha
Starting out

How to (re)use my TS421 with a new full set of new HDDs?

Post by soficha »

Hello,

I had issues with my Qnap raid 5 HDDs (TS 421, 2 HDDs down) but thankfully could get back my data. I have done since then multiple copies cloud/physical, and I have bought a new Qnap NAS with brand new HDDs.

Now regarding my old TS 421, I would like to continue to use it with 4 brand news HDDs, just for copy purpose of my new NAS. The NAS itself is working well.

I try to look for info on how to basically reset a NAS with replacing all HDDs with brand new empty HDDs (no need to transfer data) and starting from the beginning (creating raid 5 etc).

I found on QNAP the RESET button during 10 seconds : is that the way you recommend to do?

In other words, how do I reset my NAS with 4 new HDDs in RAID 5, since it was already set up as RAID 5 on my 4 old HDDs (2 were deficient, hence the data back up) that I want to remove?

thank you

soficha
dolbyman
Guru

Re: How to (re)use my TS421 with a new full set of new HDDs?

Post by dolbyman »

If you put 4 new disks in, the nas will be like the first day..as the OS is on the drives and gone with new drives (they will boot into setup)
soficha
Starting out

Re: How to (re)use my TS421 with a new full set of new HDDs?

Post by soficha »

Thank you very much Dolbyman. Well noted. So I just put the 4 HDDs, switch on and redo a NAS set up as first day to create the Raid 5.
many thanks
soficha

Return to “Backup & Restore”