External Device - Volume cannot be Mounted or Recognized

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
DonaldStott
Starting out

Re: External Device - Volume cannot be Mounted or Recognized

Post by DonaldStott »

OK - tried to Format disk to NTFS:-

"Warning 2022-11-09 22:46:29 --- --- Web Desktop Storage & Snapshots External Storage [Storage & Snapshots] Failed to finish erasing external storage device "ASMT 2105". The task stopped unexpectedly."
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Might be a specific issue with this ASMT bridge chipset..opening a ticket might still be your best shot (even though QNAP will probably point towards the compatibility list)
DonaldStott
Starting out

Post by DonaldStott »

Thanks for your ongoing support.

I've opened a ticket with QNAP so let's wait and see what they come back with?
DonaldStott
Starting out

Post by DonaldStott »

I logged this issue with QNAP support and, to be fair, they have been fairly responsive although this issue with external drives and USB ports has not been resolved after almost a month!

QNAP have used Remote Support on several occasions and of course we had to go through the usual tests to verify that I was using compatible HDDs and external USB caddy. I even had to go through a memory test using Memtest86+ which was a real pain as I had to remove all my disks and plug in a USB cable and keyboard along with a USB drive with the Memtest86+ software - as expected the outcome of the tests was a PASS! Interesting to note that there appeared to be no USB connection issues with this procedure?

I had to go through numerous variations of the order in which the external USB caddy was connected and numerous attempts to get the external HDD formatted. After many attempts the external HDD was eventually formatted as NTFS!

We moved onto HBS 3 and tried a One-way Sync job which stalled several times but after weeks of trying I finally managed to backup my NAS!!!

During this period and following numerous restarts I would frequently get an Alert saying that 'The "exFAT Driver" license has expired or revoked due to a validation error' - don't know if this is a related problem or a different issue?

And so we move on to my second backup HDD and I am currently going through the exact same steps and experiencing the exact same problems! I've got to the stage where a One-way Sync job has been running for about 12 hours but has only progressed by 40%.

Clearly QNAP have a problem that they can't or won't fix but they have led me on a merry dance during the past month 'chasing unicorns' which indicates to me that they don't know how to fix it. All the time they've had me trying one thing or another which keeps the user busy ... ! :lol:

Of course QNAP Support don't seem to work weekends so I will need to wait until tomorrow (Monday) to find out what they are saying - I'll keep the Forum updated ...
DonaldStott
Starting out

Post by DonaldStott »

QNAP Support replied:-

'I have escalated this issue with our Dev team for further checking.

I will update you as soon as I get feedback from Dev team.
'
DonaldStott
Starting out

Post by DonaldStott »

And quick as you like this response which I have included in full:-

As I know, you have tested the USB external drive in Windows and works properly.

2022/11/19
I transferred the ICY dock with HDD from the NAS and connected it to my Windows 10 laptop.
I was able to copy files to the external storage USBHDD as expected.

Our team has checked, and the NAS had detected multiple errors from USB of the NAS.
If the USB external disk worked on other devices (Windows), the NAS need to be repaired (USB port issue).

There are also lots of ATA error in kernel message. We recommend to have full backup the NAS data to another storage device/location.
2022-12-03 08:13:00 +00:00 <3> [33328.968782] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sde, sector 0 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x800 phys_seg 0 prio class 0
2022-12-03 08:19:00 +00:00 <3> [33688.980474] sd 6:0:0:0: [sde] tag#0 timing out command, waited 360s
2022-12-03 08:19:00 +00:00 <6> [33688.986774] sd 6:0:0:0: [sde] tag#0 FAILED Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE cmd_age=360s result=8000002 sbuf[0,1,2,3,7,12,13]=70_0_4_0_a_44_0 blk_rq_bytes=0 passthrough=0 cmd_flags=40002 jiffies_alloc=1f7f5c2 allowed=5 timeout=ea60 jiffies=1fd7409
2022-12-03 08:19:00 +00:00 <6> [33689.009967] sd 6:0:0:0: [sde] tag#0 Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]
2022-12-03 08:19:00 +00:00 <6> [33689.016768] sd 6:0:0:0: [sde] tag#0 Add. Sense: Internal target failure

Based from SN Q145118197, the NAS unit is out of warranty.

Also, the NAS model TS-451 has reached end-of-life and hardware repair or replacement is no longer possible (Discontinued).
https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/product/stat ... del=TS-451
TS-451 [Legacy] Discontinued Full Active

Please check for compatible QNAP NAS model that supports direct system migration from TS-451.
For example, to a TS-453D
https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/nas-migratio ... on=ts-453d

Then do Direct System Migration procedure to move the disk drives
https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/how-to/knowl ... he-old-one

I'm no technical expert but QNAP have yet to explain why a firmware update to QTS 5.0.1.2194 Build 20221022 has caused the USB ports issue which their DevTeam know about but they cant fix!

Their solution is to buy a new 4-bay NAS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
DonaldStott
Starting out

Post by DonaldStott »

I note that QNAP advise "We recommend to have full backup the NAS data to another storage device/location." but this is a bit problematic as the USB ports on my NAS are 'flaky'!

Given that my external USB caddy and external HDDs are not the problem and can be used with my Windows 10 PC is it possible to connect my USB caddy to my PC and backup to it across my home network - the PC and NAS are on the same home network?
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Never checked this, in theory yes.
If you are able to create a share at the Windows for the USB drive, then it should work.
You need to create a storage space in HBS3 and create a sync job (not a backup job).
But I am currently not sure, if Windows allows a share to an external USB drive!?

Regards
Last edited by FSC830 on Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonaldStott
Starting out

Post by DonaldStott »

Thanks FSC830 - that's what I was hoping! :D

I'll look at trying to create a share to an external USB drive in Windows 10 later but meantime in HBS3 I note that when I try to Create a Storage Space I have four options:-

Storage Space.JPG

Which one should I choose?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DonaldStott
Starting out

Post by DonaldStott »

I eventually succeeded in creating a share to my external USB drive in Windows 10 and eventually created a Storage Space using HSB 3 which was used to create a One-way Sync job. This enabled me to backup my NAS to my external USB drive in Windows 10 - very slow of course due to the route taken across my Home Network!

One of the things I had to do was to disable all the shields in Avast Premium as this blocked access to the share even though an Exception had been created?

QNAP Customer Support appear to have given up completely in getting the USB ports on my TS-451 NAS working - these all failed to work after a Firmware upgrade and still failed after I rolled back the Firmware!

Either QNAP don't know or won't say what's happened - anyone ?
DonaldStott
Starting out

Post by DonaldStott »

UPDATE

QNAP Customer Support have advised:-

'As advised by Dev team, since the USB external drive works on other devices but not on the NAS, we suggest to RMA the NAS TS-451 since there are lots of ATA error in kernel message logs.

But the NAS model TS-451 is a legacy (Discontinued) model; hardware repair or replacement is no longer possible.

Need to migrate the disk drives to a new NAS unit which supports direct system migration from TS-451.'

The problems I Posted here only started when I updated the Firmware to 5.0.1.2194 Build 20221022 so in Summary:-

1. QNAP broke my NAS :(

2. QNAP can't fix my NAS :x

3. QNAP advise that I buy a new NAS :-0

HELP!
DonaldStott
Starting out

Post by DonaldStott »

And as expected my latest response from QNAP Support was "Ticket ... has been closed."

So where do I go from here?

Purchasing a new QNAP NAS to resolve a USB port problem that QNAP caused is out of the question!

What I don't know is if this is a USB hardware problem which could perhaps be fixed or some sort of firmware bug that QNAP have introduced?

Are there any QNAP DIY forums that anyone knows about?
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

As a workaround another USB device can **may be** used.
Several users reporting USB issues with 5.x firmware, and yes, I agree that this is a shame for QNAP. USB is not a new technology, but it seems, that QNAP modified some kernel parameters/whatever and is not willing to fix this.
At my end I do not have any issues running my USB drives at my TS-473A since I installed QTS 5.x (currently running with 5.0.1.2248).
But in German forum too a lot of users complaining issues with USB devices.

In some cases putting an USB hub between NAS and external drive solves the issue, but this does not work for all.
Anyhow, a big big "thumbs down" for QNAP!

Regards

Return to “Backup & Restore”