How To Back Up Damaged HDD To New HDD?

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
David99G20T
Starting out

How To Back Up Damaged HDD To New HDD?

Post by David99G20T »

Hello,

I have a few errors on the existing HDD in my TS-451+ and have found out that those mean it is time to replace my one HDD. I have everything backed up on Backblaze, but wanted to know what would be the easiest method to transfer my files from the damaged HDD. I wouldn't mind downloading the files from Backblaze, but I would prefer a less expensive option, such as, just transferring the files directly. Currently, I have no RAID so my only option is to directly transfer the files. Would this be advisable with the errors that I have? I have an IO Error as well as multiple read/write errors according to QNAP and up until recently I was not even able to access it. There is also a red light on for the HDD on my QNAP. Also, my damaged HDD was also just recently backed up to Backblaze while it was damaged before I lost complete access to it.

I found the following page that appears to be what I need, but I wanted to make sure first.

viewtopic.php?t=88383

Would this work as an enclosure?

https://www.microcenter.com/product/467 ... -enclosure

Thank you for any help!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: How To Back Up Damaged HDD To New HDD?

Post by dolbyman »

1. a busted HDD id a busted HDD, reading the data now is too late (you have backups ..all good)

2. you cannot read internal NAS HDD without a NAS (they are formated in a way that makes them very hard to read without special softwate or Linux knowlage)
David99G20T
Starting out

Post by David99G20T »

dolbyman wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:00 pm 1. a busted HDD id a busted HDD, reading the data now is too late (you have backups ..all good)

2. you cannot read internal NAS HDD without a NAS (they are formated in a way that makes them very hard to read without special softwate or Linux knowlage)
Thank you for the info! My plan was to keep the damaged HDD in the NAS and connect my new HDD externally using an enclosure and transfer files that way. Is that not possible? The only reason that I thought this would work is because the HDD inside my NAS is now accessible to me by using the web UI.

Thanks again!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you can read the disk just use file station to copy files to an external drive
ritters
Know my way around

Post by ritters »

I'm not sure if that's what he wants; I guess afterwards he wants to insert the external drive in the NAS and use it as his new NAS-HDD.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

External disks will be erased when inserted, so that plan would fail
David99G20T
Starting out

Post by David99G20T »

ritters wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:41 pm I'm not sure if that's what he wants; I guess afterwards he wants to insert the external drive in the NAS and use it as his new NAS-HDD.
Yes, that was my question. Thank you!
dolbyman wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:32 pm External disks will be erased when inserted, so that plan would fail
Thanks for letting me know! I guess what I would do is transfer my data to an external HDD and once I install my new HDD into the NAS I would transfer the data back.
Gaudi
Easy as a breeze

Post by Gaudi »

Please note that the article you posted is for old NASes which had a different file system, more easily accessed with external tools (I have done myself the migration in my first TS-109 Pro II NAS).

Return to “Backup & Restore”