Need advice restoring TS-453D after failed Container Station Pihole image install

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
doodles56
Starting out

Need advice restoring TS-453D after failed Container Station Pihole image install

Post by doodles56 »

I attempted to install Pihole in Container Station the other day. I had seen some suggestions to create a new small volume first for the container station apps, which I did. I thought I also had successfully changed my default folder for CS images to that new volume. I already had Container Station installed on my main volume. I think it was installed automatically when I installed QMagie (?)
I followed the QNAP tutorial video steps for installing Pihole. Per that procedure, I configured the Pihole app to autostart on NAS initialization.
The install seemed to be going ok. I saw the step where the Pihole image was downloaded, but when it proceeded to the next step ("creating" maybe?) it seems to have hung. I gave it 20 minutes which seems way longer than the video indicated the process should have taken. I tried to select "cancel" on the installation process, but that action showed me it was not responding. I gave it an hour, and eventually resorted to powering down the NAS.
I have tried restarting the NAS multiple times since then, but the NAS is no longer found in my web browser. I suspect that perhaps the new app in CS is restarting when I reboot the NAS, and immediately hanging. That's a pure guess on my part.

I do have multiple backups of all my data and snapshots (latest one made the day before the events described above). I have a local external USB HDD backup and a cloud backup to Backblaze, via HBS3, both of which run every night.

What are my options for restoring my NAS? As far as I can tell, I am limited to the advanced system reset button push, or possibly the one-touch USB button push. I'm not aware of any way I can start the NAS in some safe mode that would let me undo my missteps in the attempted Pihole install.

I greatly appreciate any guidance you can suggest!

Thanks,
Doug
NAS model: QNAP TS-453D
Firmware version: 5.0.1.2376
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Need advice restoring TS-453D after failed Container Station Pihole image install

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

I've setup pihole before using container station v3.

yes i also set a permanent storage location for it, this worked too.

running it seemed stable, so i'm not sure what happened for you.

but i'm facing a similar yet different problem.... i did somethings i shouldn't and this has irredemeably trashed my nas virtual switch in some way. so i'm in the process of doing a reinitialize for my nas (which means wipe everything and start from scratch)

So i spent half a day backing up. Checking i have everything accounted for.

Now i'm doing the factory reset and reinitialize. I'll probably pull out my drives and wipe them clean just to be extra sure.

After all that, reinitialize and recover from my backup using HBS.

hopefully you don't have to resort to that just yet (hopefully your issue is a simple misconfiguration that can be solved), but that's what i'm doing for my situation because there does not seem to be a solution for this :/

when i get my nas back up and running i'll see if i can post a guide for the pihole so you can see if you followed the steps correctly or did something else that you shouldn't have :/

if possible can you link the guide you were using?

What are my options for restoring my NAS? As far as I can tell, I am limited to the advanced system reset button push, or possibly the one-touch USB button push. I'm not aware of any way I can start the NAS in some safe mode that would let me undo my missteps in the attempted Pihole install.
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/faq/a ... -explained

like i said i'm going through the steps myself.

firstly, make sure you backup to a separate storage device.

make sure i'm on the latest stable firmware first.

then factory reset. reinitialize.

i'm pulling out my drives putting in a hdd docker and wiping partitions. reinsert drives

reinitialize

use hybridbackupsync to recover from backup (tl-d400s)

default password is the 1st mac address. usually it will be listed in qfinder or the sticker on your nas

*update

couldnt find my hdd dock, so i just did everything with the drives and ssd left in the nas (didnt have to pull everything to wipe on desktop)

my ssd was used as a pair raid1 volume. this want just remove the pool/volume. then do a ssd erase from within qts as well. this wipes out the previous setup. for hdd raid also remove pool/volume.

then when doing reinitialize qfinder will detect and ask for smart install click yes. then follow through setup for setting a new nas (the first volume setup will be used for the system fyi).

Anyway i'm not saying your case requires doing a clean install. but if it comes to that, this is how. myself i could not solve my issue without doing a clean install. not sure if your in that worse case scenario or not :'
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
doodles56
Starting out

Re: Need advice restoring TS-453D after failed Container Station Pihole image install

Post by doodles56 »

Moogle, thanks for the tips!

This is the Pihole install process I was following (video from QNAP UK)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvaQu5_QrJ4&t=58s

My NAS has been powered down for the last 24 hours, so I will first do another regular restart to see if by some miracle I get a login screen.
Assuming I can't log in at all, then it seems the 'console' operations would still be unreachable for me. At that point I will also make note of the various LED status lights on the NAS to see if that gives me more clues to what state the NAS is in.

I think after that I will try the short "three second press" on the reset button. I know it resets the admin password - I'm hoping maybe it would also prevent program autostart. I don't see any harm in trying that before doing the full reset.
If that doesn't get me anywhere, I will go for the long reset reinitialize and clean install.

I have never attempted a restore on my NAS. Do you know if I should expect the apps and their settings to be part of my existing backup? My backup contains all my shared folders, but I'm not sure if that includes apps, or if it's only data.
I don't have any SSDs on my unit.

It sounds like you did get things fixed on your system after the restore process? If you're still working through issues, good luck with the rest of it.

Thanks for your good information and support!
- Doug
doodles56
Starting out

Post by doodles56 »

Update and resolution of my non-responsive NAS issue. Yesterday I took the plunge and inserted a straightened paperclip in the "reset" hole on the back of my TS-453D, held for 3 seconds and released when I heard the first beep.
The NAS status LED light on the front panel flickered between green and red for about 20 minutes, after which it was back to steady green. I checked QFinder and saw it now showed my NAS, which was very encouraging.
I then checked my web browser, and my pc was able to find the NAS, displaying the QTS login screen again, which was another good sign. I logged into the admin account (which had been re-enabled and password set to MAC1 address as part of the reset push). I was very pleased to see that all my previous users. file structures and data were intact. I got a message that there were some data errors (I think) noted, so the system automatically launched a disk synchronization process, which took some hours to complete.
I also saw that all Container Station processes had been stopped, and saw a message that "containers do not automatically restart after an unexpected system shutdown". Which worked out fine for me, as it gave me the opportunity to remove the container station app and data from my main DataVol1volume. Now I intend to re-install Container Station on my newly created DataVol2, in which I plan to also install the Pi-hole image. I will definitely give it a lot of time to complete this time!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

doodles56 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:56 pm Moogle, thanks for the tips!
you're welcome :ashamed:
doodles56 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:56 pm This is the Pihole install process I was following (video from QNAP UK)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvaQu5_QrJ4&t=58s
yes i also installed pihole in the same way.

these days i use the portainer docker compose. but becauz i have yet to know how to set static ips in that method, i come back to cs and use that if i need to setup a docker using a static ip as illustrated in the video. Though in the youtube he is showing for cs v2. I'm using cs v3, but the idea is pretty much the same.

My NAS has been powered down for the last 24 hours, so I will first do another regular restart to see if by some miracle I get a login screen.

Assuming I can't log in at all, then it seems the 'console' operations would still be unreachable for me. At that point I will also make note of the various LED status lights on the NAS to see if that gives me more clues to what state the NAS is in.

I think after that I will try the short "three second press" on the reset button. I know it resets the admin password - I'm hoping maybe it would also prevent program autostart. I don't see any harm in trying that before doing the full reset.
If that doesn't get me anywhere, I will go for the long reset reinitialize and clean install.
you can't login to your nas? in that situation FIRST try a soft reset (i've done this recently as well).

This will reset your virtual switch settings and password and some other things back to default. Your default password should be your mac1 address. If you don't know what that is check qfinder.

I have never attempted a restore on my NAS.
If all you are doing is just trying to log back into qts, don't do a NAS reinitialize just yet.

during this troubleshoot, i also suggest you have qfinder app running, and click a refresh for it to see if it can detect your nas on the network or not.

First, check the back of your qnap. do you see a light for your nic? If there is no light, this could be indicative that your ethernet wire is spoiled or not plugged in on at least one side. At least i had a situation where the nas wasn't detected, so i checked the back it wasn't lit, so i unplug, plug back in the ethernet wire and it worked. It could be a simple scenario like this, which is why you should always check.

If that isn't the case, try to reboot your qnap. if that doesn't work, try a soft reset.

I get locked out of qts every now and then for one reason or another. And the first i always do is either a reboot first, followed by a soft reset if the reboot doesn't change anything.

I hope you had set a static ip for your qnap? if not then the lan ip could possible be changing? Use qfinder to check. always set a static ip for your QNAP, whether it be done internally within QTS, or via your router DHCP reserved lan ip (one or the other basically, as long as there is a static ip for your qnap nas)

Do you know if I should expect the apps and their settings to be part of my existing backup? My backup contains all my shared folders, but I'm not sure if that includes apps, or if it's only data.
What apps do you speak of?

Most of my apps setup are docker apps (most of which were setup using portainer with docker compose). I made a guide how to restore docker apps here
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=168791

as for my qpkgs, the only one i had that used any settings was a unifi controller qpkg which i only enable when i have an issue with the docker app version. To backup this, i go into the unifi app, and save the config. I can easily restore the config for this app by doing a new app install for it, and pointing the restore to use the saved config.

if you'r asking how to backup qpkgs apps in general, that i don't know. I only know a case by case basis, like in the unifi controller qpkg example which the app has a backup option available.

I don't have any SSDs on my unit.
noted

It sounds like you did get things fixed on your system after the restore process? If you're still working through issues, good luck with the rest of it.
yes i managed to resolve my own issue. Because my container station was messed up. So i had to do a full nas reset/reinitialize. This started me off from a clean slate and now everything is restored and can work as intended :D

as for container, you should decide if you want to use cs v2 stable or the newer cs v3 BETA. i also recommend you checkout using portainer. i made a guide how to set that up
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=168772

Thanks for your good information and support!
- Doug
np :D
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
doodles56
Starting out

Post by doodles56 »

Thanks again for your suggestions! After the soft reset, things are working pretty well now, no loss in data files etc.
I now have my main system volume, DataVol1, and my new smaller DataVol2, where I hope to put all the CS stuff.

I will review both your guides that you linked above, and will update here after I try the next steps.

Thanks so much!
-Doug
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

doodles56 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:57 am Thanks again for your suggestions! After the soft reset, things are working pretty well now, no loss in data files etc.
I now have my main system volume, DataVol1, and my new smaller DataVol2, where I hope to put all the CS stuff.

I will review both your guides that you linked above, and will update here after I try the next steps.

Thanks so much!
-Doug
actually someone posted a pihole docker guide already. use that one
viewtopic.php?f=354&t=168429&p=833458&h ... er#p831826
NAS

Network

Resources
doodles56
Starting out

Post by doodles56 »

Thanks again for your help Moogle!
It turns out, in order to move Container Station to my new dedicated volume, I first had to delete QNAP AI Core, which apparently uses Container Station and had some links to it.
At that point I was able to move CS to the new volume. Then reinstalled AI Core. I checked QuMagie, which uses AI Core, and verified that is working fine.
Anyways my pi-hole has been working fine for almost a week now.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

doodles56 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:22 am Thanks again for your help Moogle!
It turns out, in order to move Container Station to my new dedicated volume, I first had to delete QNAP AI Core, which apparently uses Container Station and had some links to it.
At that point I was able to move CS to the new volume.
Then reinstalled AI Core. I checked QuMagie, which uses AI Core, and verified that is working fine.
Anyways my pi-hole has been working fine for almost a week now.
good tips, ty for sharing :)
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Backup & Restore”