QNAP to QNAP Backup/Mirror/Clone

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
jofmtd
New here

QNAP to QNAP Backup/Mirror/Clone

Post by jofmtd »

Hi all,

hoping you can help. I have 2 QNAP devices. A TVS-h1688X and a TS-832PX.

The h1688x is the an active working device living in our office. The 832PX is currently unused and is effectively still in its box.

I want the 832PX to live off-site, and be a perfect mirror of the h1688x as a disaster recovery device. e.g. the office is flooded, broken into, etc.

I'm trying to set up a Sync/backup process using HBS3, and can only find options to backup/sync shared folders. I want to clone QNAP1 to QNAP2 perfectly. So clone the actual Volumes and volume data in one move. Is this possible? If not with HBS3, with another program?

Otherwise, do I need to manually setup the volumes and shared folders on QNAP2, and then use HBS3 to sync Folder1 to Folder1 for EVERY shared folder I have?

Once the initial mirror is done, I'll then move QNAP2 offsite, and will require further configuration to ensure the sync/clone/mirror will continue to work over the internet.

Finally, what is the actual sync I want to use? Active Sync/1 way sync or 2 way sync?

Many thanks for your help if you can offer it.

J.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP to QNAP Backup/Mirror/Clone

Post by dolbyman »

The is no volume level clone/copy, just file level copy

These units aren't even migration compatible (x64 vs ARM) so even disk migration is out of the question.
jofmtd
New here

Post by jofmtd »

Thanks dolbyman. So my best course of action is to manually build the identical file structure and shared folders on QNAP2, and set sync jobs from shared folder to shared folder?

J.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

That should work, yes

Return to “Backup & Restore”