"Remote Server" not available for Backup

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Stifi21
New here

"Remote Server" not available for Backup

Post by Stifi21 »

Hello all.

I'm totally new to QNAP and installed now after some weeks of using the NAS the HBS 3. I created successfully a "Remote Server" target with CIFS/SMB so far. But now I noticed that "Remote Server" is only available for Sync tasks and not for Backups:
Bildschirm­foto 2023-03-28 um 13.33.01.png
Bildschirm­foto 2023-03-28 um 13.32.34.png
Are "Remote Server" basically unavailable for backups or am I doing something wrong? I can't find any corresponding statements in one of the directions. And I don't want to sync.

Best regards
Steffen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: "Remote Server" not available for Backup

Post by dolbyman »

Always make sure that you switch you UI from German to English, when posting questions in an English forum!

Or post here
https://forum.qnapclub.de/
Stifi21
New here

Post by Stifi21 »

Sorry for that, I will do this the next time. But I suppose my actual question is still recognizable, since the entire "Remote Server" block is present for a new sync task and missing when creating a backup task.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

In you first picture a "external NAS" is shown, why don't you just mount your "external NAS via that dialog? (SMB and RRTR should be available here)
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Stifi21 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:47 pm Are "Remote Server" basically unavailable for backups or am I doing something wrong?
You can only do backups to either of
  • Internal storage (not useful other than for testing).
  • USB-connected external disks connected to the Qnap itself.
  • Another Qnap running HBS (but not using the protocols Rsync, FTP or CIFS/SMB).
  • Cloud services (at least some of them).
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

hmm it says RRTR and Remote NAS account

I always thought it would mean SMB (user and password provided)
Backup_RRTR-other.JPG
I guess it's RRTR only then
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:54 am hmm it says RRTR and Remote NAS account...
You have the option to authenticate the connection with the password defined in the RTRR server section or a username/password from the user database but it's always RTRR used there.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Backup & Restore”