Data Recovery Question - Regarding Failed TS-809 Pro

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
gfrost
Starting out

Data Recovery Question - Regarding Failed TS-809 Pro

Post by gfrost »

Hi there,

My QNAP TS-809 Pro just died. The disks were all individual volumes.

I have an old TS-459 Pro that still works. If I take out my disks 1-4 from my TS-809 Pro which is dead and put them in my TS-459 Pro, I assume all my data will still be present.

What I am fearful of is placing the drives in and the TS-459 Pro automatically formatting the drives or something terrible like that. Do QNAPs ever automatically format new drives without user intervention?

I'd like to know the best way to connect the drives safely and to recreate my shares to make all my files available on the network again without affecting the existing data?

The TS-459 Pro is at the same exact OS level as my TS-809 Pro.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks kindly
OneCD
Guru

Re: Data Recovery Question - Regarding Failed TS-809 Pro

Post by OneCD »

gfrost wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:01 pm Do QNAPs ever automatically format new drives without user intervention?
No, you'll always be asked to permit formatting before it happens.

Having said that, please ensure you always have current backups before swapping drives between NAS models. As your old NAS died, this may not be possible, so be prepared to restore everything from external backups (as much as-is available anyway) if the NAS migration goes pear-shaped. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

As always: if you are afraid of loosing data - use backups!
But it seems, that most people need a painful lesson to learn this. :S

Regards
gfrost
Starting out

Post by gfrost »

Assuming I can place each drive in which are all independent drives/volumes (no raid or mirroring), once they are installed and the unit is booted up and assuming I exit successfully from any prompts to format the drive, how do I mount it back in place and how do I (safely) re-establish my original shares?
diwiwi
Easy as a breeze

Post by diwiwi »

The config is on the drives.
If you insert the drives before powering on the NAS, the NAS should start on the drives and there is no need to configure anything.

-

Return to “Backup & Restore”