MARS deletes Photos when they are deleted from Google Photo

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
bacila
New here

MARS deletes Photos when they are deleted from Google Photo

Post by bacila »

Hello,

am I duped by the QNAP advertisement regarding MARS backup or do I have both left hands (in which case I will need loooots of apologies to my wife...)?

I have set up MARS backup job and it really did well copied all my Photos to designated QNAP folder. The same was done for wife's account. However all photos from her phone did not fit into 15GB free tier Google photos storage so I have suggested to remove photos from Google Photos web page as I was sure they have been backed to QNAP. Apparently this is not the case.

As soon backup job is run, removed photos are removed from QNAP too! I have tried to experiment on my own GooglePhotos account and as soon I am moving to trash the photo it disappears from QNAP. WTF???

So far I do have 60 days until photos are removed from trash in wife's Google Photo and I will have troubles. :) Any ideas?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: MARS deletes Photos when they are deleted from Google Photo

Post by dolbyman »

open a ticket with QNAP..only they know these apps
bacila
New here

Post by bacila »

dolbyman wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:54 am open a ticket with QNAP..only they know these apps
Done that already. Now waiting. However after starting to experiment with QVPN, QPhoto and other apps I start a bit to regret that I have picked up QNAP and not Synology.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Well, best advice .. use the NAS as a NAS and not as a

- VPN Server
- Photo Organizer
- etc

And most important of all, never ever ever expose the thing to WAN! (And backups of course .. a RAID is NOT a backup)
Mattngsx
First post

Post by Mattngsx »

I found this thread because I was in the same boat. Try showing hidden files and folders in File Station? The MARS app created backup folders for each scheduled MARS backup from google photos (GP) in my selected save folder on my QNAP. I originally thought MARS deleted all my photos because I deleted them from GP. It appears MARS only shows you whats active on GP, and creates a hidden backup folder when any changes occur on GP? I copied all my hidden backup folders, and I will see what changes in the next couple weeks to confirm.

Return to “Backup & Restore”