Running Crashplan in a Ubuntu VM

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
keg415
Starting out

Re: Running Crashplan in a Ubuntu VM

Post by keg415 »

Note that /etc/smb.conf contains the following:

Code: Select all

veto files = /.AppleDB/.AppleDouble/.AppleDesktop/:2eDS_Store/Network Trash Folder/Temporary Items/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/.@__thumb/.@__desc/:2e*/.@__qini/.Qsync/.@upload_cache/.qsync/.qsync_sn/.@qsys/
This means that if the VM mounts shares using CIFS, these files will be hidden and not backed up by CrashPlan. That's probably desirable for most of these, but not if Qsynced files (.Qsync/.qsync) require backup.

One option is to edit /etc/smb.conf to remove filenames from the veto files list, but then these will become visible to all SMB clients.

Another option is to mount the shares via NFS instead of CIFS. In that case, these filenames can be excluded from the CrashPlan backup.
NS123
Starting out

Post by NS123 »

Just wanted to update that I've been using crashplan in an Ubuntu VM per this approach now x 2.5 months with no issues--it backs up seamlessly and I haven't had to mess with the VM/crashplan even once. . . . very happy.
keg415
Starting out

Post by keg415 »

I noticed that the clock on the CrashPlan VM was not being synced. The problem is that restarting/upgrading QTS suspends the VMs during this process, and when a VM is suspended, the clock is frozen until it is resumed. NTP is supposed to sync the clock to network time, but by default it is configured to give up and quit if the clock is out-of-sync by more than 1000 seconds.

The solution is to edit /etc/ntp.conf to add the following command:

tinker panic 0
As the first command in the file.
MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit »

Pretty cool but I don't think i can run VM on my 569L, or can I?
Model: TVS-872XT 16GB
Model: TS-877-1700 16GB
keg415
Starting out

Post by keg415 »

I recently installed CrashPlan on an Ubuntu 16.04.2 VM and encountered the following issues:

1. Shared folders randomly not mounted. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1687273 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1691870. Workaround is to add the "vers=3.0" mount option.

2. Unprivileged xinit wont start in unallocated vt. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1562219. Fix:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-legacy
3. It is still necessary to install the following to fix the CrashPlan CLI bug:

sudo apt-get install libwebkitgtk-1.0-0
4. ntp is deprecated, so it is best not to install it. But if installed, edit /etc/ntp.conf to add the following command:

tinker panic 0
as the first command in the file, as per my post of 2/15/2017.
keg415
Starting out

Post by keg415 »

I've been running CrashPlan on an Ubuntu 18.04 LTS VM for two years. Windows 10 PCs access shared folders on the QNAP which are mounted by the VM with options e.g.:

//192.168.1.10/homes /c/home cifs rw,credentials=/var/backups/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,noperm 0 0

Beginning some time last year (2019), all files CrashPlan restores to a mounted share have the Read-only and Hidden attributes set, regardless of when the file was backed up or whether it was restored with Original or Current permissions. CrashPlan is the only app on the VM that does this -- all other apps/commands create files with normal permissions/attributes. The getfattr command shows nothing and the setfattr command fails "Operation not supported". I have no idea of how or why CrashPlan sets these attributes, which are not backed up/supported by Crashplan according to the documentation, and neither does CrashPlan support.

Any ideas?

Return to “Backup & Restore”