moving files with File Station deletes originals even after failure

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Don
Guru

Re: moving files with File Station deletes originals even after failure

Post by Don »

grunz wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:12 am WTF?! Why is this still happening more than two years later on the latest firmware version 4.3.3.1098 Build 20191107?!? Shame on you QNAP! :evil:
Did you open a ticket with QNAP?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
mandelmus
New here

Post by mandelmus »

New QNAP user ... and first post here ... and just lost about a hundred photos because I didn't know about the "moving files" issue. I "moved" three folders from my Windows desktop to the QNAP NAS. One folder contained photos, recently transferred from my phone, and two folders contained files (hyperlinks, word docs, etc.). After the move completed, I went to view the files and photos on the NAS. The two folders containing files moved over properly with all files present. The one folder containing photos was completely empty. The folder hierarchy was there, but no photos were visible. As mentioned before, I'm really surprised this is still an issue after all these years and firmware updates. Luckily, aside from this one instance, I've been using "copy" for all my other transfers. But, this is frustrating.

*I also opened a support ticket about this.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

mandelmus wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:02 pm One folder contained photos, recently transferred from my phone...
I'm sorry about your loss but there's also an opportunity to learn from a painful experience.

Already when doing the above you should do a copy (not a move) as that is your very first opportunity to make the important backup copy to another unit. Only when you have confirmed that you have at least two other copies of your data on different devices, should you delete data from your phone. Then always keep important data on at least two separate devices.

Without an external backup copy, data loss is inevitable. It's only a matter of time when it occur.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

this topic is about an issue in file station

you describe an issue in windows explorer, so this one would be on microsoft and not qnap
mandelmus
New here

Post by mandelmus »

dolbyman, ok, but still, 2 other folders "moved" properly and 1 folder vanished. i've never seen that in all the times i've transferred files between any devices; so, seems that QNAP has got to share some responsibility ... at least others should know about this issue
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

as said..if you do the move with windows explorer..qnap is not to blame here
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

dolbyman wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:24 pm as said..if you do the move with windows explorer..qnap is not to blame here
I agree.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

The saga continues ... :(

This same bug seems to be present in QTS 5.0.0.1932: viewtopic.php?p=812983#p812983

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Backup & Restore”