Best Cloud Backup Solution

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
morfmedia
Starting out

Best Cloud Backup Solution

Post by morfmedia »

Hi All,

I've been using Crashplan for quite a few years but their reliance upon continually updating the code and breaking the client / relying on someone from the forums means I'd like to try an alternate vendor.

Which is the "best" cloud backup solution you've found for your QNAP NAS. I need to backup <1TB of photos so looking forward to hearing any recommendations.
morfmedia
Starting out

Re: Best Cloud Backup Solution

Post by morfmedia »

Anyone have any feedback, I did try a search with no joy
jg3
Starting out

Post by jg3 »

Also interested.

Love Crashplan, my corporate laptop uses it and it's great. If Qnap support were solid, it would be a no-brainer. Looking for an option that backs personal lappy up to my NAS (via relatively fast local connection) and the NAS up to the cloud (via relatively slow Internet link)
mjonis
Getting the hang of things

Post by mjonis »

This is just my opinion of course.

I'm new to QNAP, but have been using the NetGear ReadyNAS Vault solution.

Anyway, after researching a bit for QNAP, I'm going with Elephant Drive (which looks identical to NetGear Vault). My reasoning is that the price is good ($10/month for 1 TB). The others are astronomically expensive (IMO) for that same. I *think* I found one that was slightly cheaper (Maybe Amazon Glacier) but the pricing of most of the other cloud solutions is complex (how much do you want to upload/month, where are you located at, and how many "requests" for restores) make pricing complicated, IMO.

I do not want to use Dropbox or OneDrive either as I don't think their security is very good, not to mention the storage (1 TB or more is what I'll need).

But your needs may be different.

To be honest, for photos, I store them on my NAS but they are also on Flickr Pro which is $45/2 years (so I can use the uploadr utility). Otherwise I think Flickr has 1 TB for free.
NAS - TS451+ Firmware: 4.4.2.1270 RAID-1: Seagate ST4000VX007 x2
mjonis

Post by mjonis »

And I just found this, which looks intriguing. Price is pretty decent. Will see how it goes.

https://www.qnap.com/static/landing/201 ... index.html
NAS - TS451+ Firmware: 4.4.2.1270 RAID-1: Seagate ST4000VX007 x2
FlaParrotHead

Post by FlaParrotHead »

mjonis wrote:And I just found this, which looks intriguing. Price is pretty decent. Will see how it goes.

https://www.qnap.com/static/landing/201 ... index.html
Do you, or anyone, know if you must have a business plan to use IDrive with QNAP? The business plans look much more expensive. I’d like to be able to have my QNAP 471 backup automatically without any computer attached.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TVS-471
QTS 5.1.1.2491
kone4
First post

Post by kone4 »

FlaParrotHead wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:42 am Do you, or anyone, know if you must have a business plan to use IDrive with QNAP? The business plans look much more expensive. I’d like to be able to have my QNAP 471 backup automatically without any computer attached.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No business plan needed.
I use it with a personal account and the iDrive app for Qnap om my TS-219

Return to “Backup & Restore”