Backing up a remote system via ftp to a qnap

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
arkid
Know my way around

Backing up a remote system via ftp to a qnap

Post by arkid »

Hi all

I know there are other questions similar to this on the forum but most are quite old and as software changes I thought it worth asking again.

Basically I have a few websites all on different webservers that I need to backup. I want to back them up TO my qnap. It seems that "out of the box" I have one option to do this using the built in backup station / Hybrid Backup Sync software that comes with the QNAP (using the sync remote to local option). HOWEVER this doesn't seem to support any kind of multiple backup histories and no differential backup. I definitely need to be able to save and possibly restore from say the last 30 days. It's no good for me to just have last nights copy.

My only other requirement is that this works via normal ftp, I can't install proprietary backup client software on the remote servers. This rules out some of the 3rd party qnap apps currently available such as Xopero which seemed really promising until I discovered this issue with its architecture.

if anyone knows of 3rd party software/scripts (open source or commercial) that can backup from ftp and save historical versions as I require please do share.
Owner: 1x QNAP 259 Pro, 2x QNAP 109 II
P3R
Guru

Re: Backing up a remote system via ftp to a qnap

Post by P3R »

arkid wrote:It seems that "out of the box" I have one option to do this using the built in backup station / Hybrid Backup Sync software that comes with the QNAP (using the sync remote to local option).
Yes as that is a synchronization, it by defintion doesn't keep different versions.

I don't know about Hybrid Backup Station as I've never used it but in Backup Station the backup option only allow push operations, not pull as you need. I also don't understand the reason limiting backup to push operations. Using the NAS as a pull backup destination should be an excellent selling point.

If you're not very tight on storage a possible workaround could be to pull the data from the source sites with a ftp sync operation to a temporary area and then, when that pull is finished, do a push backup with versioning to the final backup storage area. Backup tasks in RTRR supports versioning with the help of the Backup versioning app.

Backup versioning in Backup Station/RTRR have worked great for me for over a year but may unfortunately be broken in QTS 4.2.2 build 20161208 and later (could be different when not using external disk as backup destination and/or with different NAS models?). In QTS 4.2.2 build 20161102 versioning still works, at least on my old NAS.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Xopero_team
Starting out

Re: Backing up a remote system via ftp to a qnap

Post by Xopero_team »

Hello,

Xopero allows remote backup of FTP server. It is not required to install the client applitacion on the FTP server itself. If you have any questions about the proper configuration of your backup project, please contact our support team via support@xopero.com.

Best,
Marta from Xopero Team

Return to “Backup & Restore”