Affordable cloud backup of QNAP NAS

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
convergent
Know my way around

Affordable cloud backup of QNAP NAS

Post by convergent »

I haven't looked at this in a while and looking for recommendations. I see there is now a "Connect to Cloud Drive" backup app for QNAP. What is the most economical cloud vendor to use with this if I wanted to backup everything. I currently have about 6TB on my QNAP and back it up to a second NAS box; but would like to get something going offsite and would like to have it going to one one of the cloud alternatives. Any recommendations?
browellm
Know my way around

Re: Affordable cloud backup of QNAP NAS

Post by browellm »

Amazon Cloud Drive is my favourite https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/home

£55/year, unlimited storage.
TS-451
convergent
Know my way around

Post by convergent »

Thanks... and Amazon Cloud Drive will work with the QNAP backup app?
convergent
Know my way around

Post by convergent »

OK, got Amazon working with the Hybrid Cloud app... but the encryption option seems to be greyed out. Anyway to get that working?
convergent
Know my way around

Post by convergent »

OK, figured it out. You have to go into Storage Space > Profile and set an encryption password; then you can turn on encryption in advanced settings for a backup/sync job. Running a job now and files are encrypted on the Amazon Drive side. Will see how it goes. This does appear to be an affordable option.
birillobo
Starting out

Post by birillobo »

Why don't you use the client side encryprion in the Hybrid Cloud App? What about the upload speed?
convergent
Know my way around

Post by convergent »

birillobo wrote:Why don't you use the client side encryprion in the Hybrid Cloud App? What about the upload speed?
I am using the client side encryption in the Hybrid Cloud app. I tried first with encryption turned on and my upload never finished. It was going painfully slow and so I stopped it and restarted it with out encryption. It moved along quicker, but still seems to have stopped before it loaded all files. Still trying to figure out exactly what made it and what didn't. This round was just pictures, so encryption didn't really matter. I've got another shared folder that is backups of many things and I absolutely want that backed up.
eddio
New here

Post by eddio »

From my experience with Amazon backup, upload is very very slow. I owner of ts-251.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
browellm
Know my way around

Post by browellm »

I don't use encryption, but I have 12Mb/s upload and it has always saturated that.

For whatever reason I found that it is best to set the number of concurrent uploads to 1 (one) for the Amazon job, otherwise I got intermittent errors in the backup log.
TS-451
ensignvorik
Easy as a breeze

Post by ensignvorik »

How does this deal with file deletions on the local QNAP? Can you setup a weekly sync for example? Or is it not really that advanced?
Unless I'm being blind, I can't find the setting to change what kind of QNAP I have on my profile. I now own a TS-253A
browellm
Know my way around

Post by browellm »

ensignvorik wrote:How does this deal with file deletions on the local QNAP? Can you setup a weekly sync for example? Or is it not really that advanced?
It follows the policy you set in Hybrid Backup Sync.
TS-451
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Hubic or crashplan seem to me to be the only affordable 10tb+ backup for monthly/yearly subscriptions.

not familiar with the amazon cloud drive $60, but it does seem to be comparable in price with crashplan.

there is a overview summary here
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-o ... p-service/

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/co ... crashplan/

though there are sources on the qnap forum more specific to how to go about setting up hubic and crashplan to work which i recommend for extra details.

i would always suggest to encrypt your cloudbackup ... always.... well unless it's non info sensitive stuff, which almost tends to not to be the case these days :roll:

was watching amazon drive which looked nice, but it has an odd restriction, cannot upload single files that are 50gb+ in file size. usually those tend to be bluray iso's i believe that would reach something that size?

Most of my collection is bluray source encoded stuff even with h264 encoded only reach up to 12ish gb at most. hevc is even more compressed at half the filesize in comparison for the same quality settings. so for me personally this doesn't seem to be a problem for me, but might for some :)
[youtube=]wb2nRbpZ-Hg[/youtube]

PS: apparently it may choke on files on 10gb ish during upload.... which is problem for me :S
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Backup & Restore”