Starting out

Re: Hybrid Backup Sync --> Hidden qsync folder

Post by toto_2 »

Any idea?
itsupport@lhec.co.nz
First post

Post by itsupport@lhec.co.nz »

eici123 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 1:06 am I want to have an encrypted one way sync or backup of several folders (incl. qsync folder) of my Ts-251+ to my Onedrive business cloud storage.

As fare as I have tested today, Hybrid Backup Sync does this job. Even if the backup to onedrive business is still beta. It works for all folders with the exception of the (hidden) qsync folder on the NAS under home. I have checked the box to include hidden files/folders in the advanced settings of the backup job, but this does not work. Does anyone have an idea what to do? Maybe another way to backup the qsync folder to onedrive for business?

Additional remark: I just recognized, that the backup speed is extremely slow. I have an upload rate below 10KBps. Even if I do not encrypt or pack the files during backup.
Second additional remark: Just tested upload speed of onedrive via browser and this upload of about 750MB was done in 10 Minutes. So Onedrive seems not to be the bottleneck.
Hi

Thank you for updating.

In the current design of Hybrid Backup Sync app, it does not support to backup the .Qsync folder

New version 3.0 of Hybrid Backup Sync will support to backup the .Qsync folder.

New version 3.0 of Hybrid Backup Sync is still developing. ETA is Q3 of this year.

As work around, you may consider to create a new shared folder ( like BackupQsync )

Then copy the data, from .Qsync folder to BackupQsync by using file station. ( see the screen shot per example)

After copy is finished, then backup the data to the cloud drive.

Thank you.

Best wishes

QNAP Systems, Inc. Tony.Yeh
toto_2
Starting out

Post by toto_2 »

thx for the explanation and the hint to the solution in q3!
jvanderzande
Starting out

Post by jvanderzande »

The current Beta 3.0 version doesn't seem to contain any solution for the issue or am I missing it?

Jos
jvanderzande
Starting out

Post by jvanderzande »

I am currently being told by QNAP support that my TS-269l is out of support, and while they promised me a year ago this issue would be fixed in HBS3, they can't help me.
This doesn't come across very professionally to say the least and wrote them an Email that this is unacceptable.

Jos
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Can you not get around this by creating a Shared Folder say "BackupQsync" and setting a manual path to "/.@qsync"?

Bottom line is Qnap do not want anyone mucking with the contents of "/.@qsync"
jvanderzande
Starting out

Post by jvanderzande »

That was also suggested a year ago by QNAP support, tried that and failed too after which they checked and confirmed that wasn't working either.
It is pretty frustrating to understand that it is a know issue which only appears when using (for me) Onedrive. Doing a backup to an USB connected drive work fine and the HOME directories are completely copied including the .qsync subdir, But with the OneDrive job they are simply skipped.
storageman wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:29 pm Bottom line is Qnap do not want anyone mucking with the contents of "/.@qsync"
One would hope they provide the means to make an off-side backup, which shouldn't be too much to ask...right?

Jos
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

jvanderzande wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:17 pm That was also suggested a year ago by QNAP support, tried that and failed too after which they checked and confirmed that wasn't working either.
It is pretty frustrating to understand that it is a know issue which only appears when using (for me) Onedrive. Doing a backup to an USB connected drive work fine and the HOME directories are completely copied including the .qsync subdir, But with the OneDrive job they are simply skipped.
storageman wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:29 pm Bottom line is Qnap do not want anyone mucking with the contents of "/.@qsync"
One would hope they provide the means to make an off-side backup, which shouldn't be too much to ask...right?

Jos
I agree, should be more joined up thinking.

Workflow features would be nice next.
RetroViator
New here

Post by RetroViator »

Thank you for letting me know I'm not missing something. I'm trying to backup my .Qsync files to BackBlaze. Perhaps HB3 will save the day.

Please share on this thread if HB3 or any other solution is found.
jvanderzande
Starting out

Post by jvanderzande »

RetroViator wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:09 am Perhaps HB3 will save the day.
I have had an extensive BS exchange of emails with their so called support team, and after several times not accepting their standard cut&paste answer and demanding a proper answer from somebody that is capable of actually reading the question, they were silly enough to simply state:
Moreover, the current HBS3 beta does not support .qsync backup as well. Thus, even if you buy a new NAS with HBS3 supported, the .qsync folder still cannot be backup. For your information.
... so basically they state not to upgrade my "out of support" 269l with a new QNAP, but rather go shop somewhere else.
Not sure how much this is worth as I haven't had the feeling in any of their answer they either cared or had any true knowledge.
... and then they had the nerves to send me one of those "How was our support questionnaires"...
I've never came across this kind of stupidity before.

Jos
dhoppy
New here

Post by dhoppy »

storageman wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:29 pm Can you not get around this by creating a Shared Folder say "BackupQsync" and setting a manual path to "/.@qsync"?

Bottom line is Qnap do not want anyone mucking with the contents of "/.@qsync"
Creating a shared folder with the path to "homes" didn't work for me. Neither did creating a shared folder with the path to .@qsync.
RetroViator
New here

Post by RetroViator »

It seems very odd that QNAP's file sync solution is stored on the server in such a way that QNAP's own backup software cannot access it. I hoped HBS3 would solve this problem, but it appears it remains an issue.
RetroViator
New here

Post by RetroViator »

I'm happy to report that the latest version of HBS3 appears to resolve the issue. Perhaps it was aid by the fact that I deleted my old backup config and started from scratch, but in any case, I am able to back up the contents of the Qsync folder as long as I have "Include hidden files and folders" selected.
hardy83
New here

Post by hardy83 »

hm... not working for me - very frustrating :( i re-installid hbs3, deleted config files in OneDrive, but still no reaction
hardy83
New here

Post by hardy83 »

i just realized that "backup" is working. i originally wanted to set up a one-way-sync to OneDrive - but can't get that working with the hidden qsync-folder. however, the backup-job is working even with the qsync-folder

Return to “Backup & Restore”