Hybrid Backup no longer supports BACKUP to External USB

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
DanTheMan
Getting the hang of things

Re: Hybrid Backup no longer supports BACKUP to External USB

Post by DanTheMan »

ianmacd wrote:I couldn't get the filter working on backup staton (I wanted to exclude a directory but could not get it to work despite following the guidance on a few threads on here) so thought I would install Hybrid backup. I noticed it kept the external drive backup that I had already configured (so must use the same config file as backup station) but I could not add a job to backup /TMBackup on my NAS (Time Machine files). I uninstalled it (as I needed to backup /TMBackup and the filters were the same and still didn't work) and had backup station back but no config and when I tried to add the job back in it said it couldn't because there was one with the same name (despite being no config there). A backup fixed that though.

That was 2 days ago on Firmware version 4.3.3.0262 Build 20170727.
Same here after I installed Hybrid Backup app: I can see my "old" backup drive I configured using "Backup Station" but can not add my new external drive as additional "Storage Space".
Capture NAS Hybrid Backup.PNG
In Hybrid Backup app, I can see the new external drive under the External Backup section (left navigation bar), but External Backup does not have all the features of the Backup (under "All Jobs" section), especially it does not create a backup history (offers no "multi-version backup").
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DanTheMan

Post by DanTheMan »

Filed a support ticket with QNAP and got their response today:

"We apologize if you have any confusion after reading our online guide, but currently, Storage Space is limited to a local Shared folder or a Shared folder on a Remote location or Cloud. If you want to do a Backup to a External Device, please select on the left panel the option "External Backup". Please note this External backup doesn't provide versioning option."

They are adding and removing features at will. This is inacceptable. As it stands now, QNAP is incapable of providing a backup history on an external drive. :shock:
mikeyes5
New here

Post by mikeyes5 »

Well that is pretty crappy. Hybrid backup looked like a really good solution to the issue. I understand them wanting to push cloud backup and for alot of people that will work. Having a good local backup option has too much history and it was to critical to suddenly do away with it. Versioning in backup solutions is the only decent way to make local backup worth doing. SIGH...........
DanTheMan

Post by DanTheMan »

Can anybody confirm that this issue is resolved now that a full feature backup to an external drive has returned to Hybrid Backup Sync.

I can create storage space on an external drive (click "storage space" on the left panel, press the dark blue and round button on the right, choose "on local NAS" and then select the folder representing the mounted hard drive).

Second, I can create a backup job using that storage space (click "all jobs" on the left panel, press the blue button labeled "Create Job" and follow the wizard). There, I can even enable versioning. Wonder if it works reliably...
studotwho
First post

Post by studotwho »

I confirm that the Hybrid Backup app on QTS 4.3.5.0728 has resolved this.

After updating the firmware it was not working, however there was an update available for the Hybrid Backup Sync app, the changelog did not list any fixes for the inability to select a USB disk when creating an external backup job for the qnap, however it is now working correctly as the OP, and everyone else expect and need it to.
dpbrick
Starting out

Post by dpbrick »

You are absolutely correct. I have the same issue. I am running 4.3.3.0724 Build 20181029. Your description of the problem is spot-on correct. Why would Qnap do this? This is a definite degradation of operating capabilities. You should be able to utilize the external drive just like any other backup target, but it no longer works that way. Hey QNAP, bring back the old Backup.
dpbrick
Starting out

Post by dpbrick »

DanTheMan wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 4:38 am Can anybody confirm that this issue is resolved now that a full feature backup to an external drive has returned to Hybrid Backup Sync.

I can create storage space on an external drive (click "storage space" on the left panel, press the dark blue and round button on the right, choose "on local NAS" and then select the folder representing the mounted hard drive).

Second, I can create a backup job using that storage space (click "all jobs" on the left panel, press the blue button labeled "Create Job" and follow the wizard). There, I can even enable versioning. Wonder if it works reliably...
I can tell you this did NOT work for me. Yes, it made a complete backup of the system drives, which I had to reformat because of another issue (which still isn't resolved). But when I went to restore the backup job, it did not recognize the job as a backup job. Luckily, the backup was not encrypted or compressed, and I was able to manually copy all the files back over using File Station -- but it was a long painstaking process.
dpbrick
Starting out

Post by dpbrick »

studotwho wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:14 pm I confirm that the Hybrid Backup app on QTS 4.3.5.0728 has resolved this.

After updating the firmware it was not working, however there was an update available for the Hybrid Backup Sync app, the changelog did not list any fixes for the inability to select a USB disk when creating an external backup job for the qnap, however it is now working correctly as the OP, and everyone else expect and need it to.
I don't know about 4.3.5, which I am unable to update to on my TS-219PII. What I can confirm for others in my situation, running 4.3.3, is that it has not been resolved for us. Wish I could download an old version of Backup.
dpbrick
Starting out

Post by dpbrick »

mikeyes5 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:27 pm Well that is pretty crappy. Hybrid backup looked like a really good solution to the issue. I understand them wanting to push cloud backup and for alot of people that will work. Having a good local backup option has too much history and it was to critical to suddenly do away with it. Versioning in backup solutions is the only decent way to make local backup worth doing. SIGH...........
Yes, apparently QNAP doesn't get that many people still want a local backup because it is more reliable in a SHTF type scenario. Both is better, but worst case, I still want the local backup.
dpbrick
Starting out

Post by dpbrick »

DanTheMan wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:40 am Filed a support ticket with QNAP and got their response today:

"We apologize if you have any confusion after reading our online guide, but currently, Storage Space is limited to a local Shared folder or a Shared folder on a Remote location or Cloud. If you want to do a Backup to a External Device, please select on the left panel the option "External Backup". Please note this External backup doesn't provide versioning option."

They are adding and removing features at will. This is inacceptable. As it stands now, QNAP is incapable of providing a backup history on an external drive. :shock:
Yes, shame on you for being confused :lol: Actually, this person should be fired if he or she is a QNAP employee, because the truth is that the information provided in the online guide is erroneous. Yes, they are making changes to the product without reflecting those changes in the documentation. Good thing they're not ISO 9000 certified since that would be just cause for them to lose their certification.
dpbrick
Starting out

Post by dpbrick »

mikeyes5 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:32 am I have not. Since the wording changed on the screen when creating a backup job this seems to be a very intentional change. Since they have not updated their documentation to match I was hoping it was something still pending. Just hoping someone had a quick solution I could use.
I agree -- It is definitely intentional. Why? Why would they intentionally degrade a working product? I don't know, maybe planned obsolescence? Force people with otherwise working older NASs to upgrade to newer ones? Sorry, QNAP, but that's the only logical reason I can come up with.
dpbrick
Starting out

Post by dpbrick »

In HBS, in the External Backup section, there is a tab for USB One-Touch Copy. If you click on this, at the bottom, it says, "Enable this option to allow NAS use external devices as storage drive. When an external device is connected to the front USB port, it will be treated as storage drive like being connected to the back USB port." Below that is a button with "Apply" in it. When I saw this I thought, "Aha, this should allow me to use the external drive just like the internal storage drives. But no! After clicking on the "Apply" button, absolutely nothing changed (that I could see). For sure it does not allow you to set up Backup Jobs directly on the external drive just like you can with the internal drives.

Return to “Backup & Restore”